Students Oppose Library Changes

By Mayer Bick

Members of the Undergraduate Council's academics committee are vigorously opposing a proposed relocation in June of Widener Library's government document section to space in Lamont Library that is currently reserved for studying.

Sean M. Becker '94 and Brandon C. Gregoire '95, co-chairs of the committee, expressed disapproval Wednesday during a meeting of the Standing Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE). They said the move of the documents to the first floor of Lamont Library, now a reading room primarily used by undergraduates, would cause overcrowding during exam time.

"If the gov documents are put in Lamont, a significant amount of study space will be taken away, especially after 10 P.M., especially in reading period and finals period, when there is a serious overcrowding problem," Becker said.

Larsen Librarian of Harvard College Richard De Gennaro, who met with the students earlier this week, said he plans to go forward with the change. CUE members said they would discuss the move with him, but they did not commit to any other action.

De Gennaro did not return a telephone call yesterday.

The students proposed alternatives to the move, including the reconfiguration of Lamont or Widener or the placement of the documents in alternative sites.

But while De Gennaro was receptive to student concerns, he ruled out the alternatives, the students said.

CUE members promised to make some concessions, according to the students. Those concessions might include opening dining halls after 10 p.m. or the public use of the Lowell Lecture Hall.

"We had a general discussion on maintaining adequate study space, especially for first-year students," said Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education Jeffrey Wolcowitz. "We agreed that [Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education] Buell would talk to Mr. De Gennaro about those concerns."

Buell, chair of CUE, did not return a phone call yesterday