Executives Resign From GOP Club

Decry Anti-Abortion Policy

By Andrew L. Wright

The day after the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club's (HRRC) endorsement of an anti-abortion position Tuesday night, two of its executives and several members have resigned and a new Republican club has begun on campus.

The new Harvard Republican Action Council will not to take philosophical stands on policy issues, according to its founders.

HRRC Policy Director Brian J. Erksine '96 and Member-at-Large Randall A. Fine '96 resigned their executive positions after the club narrowly voted to adopt the Republican National Committee's anti-abortion stance.

Secretary Tung Q. Le '96 resigned his executive position before the vote Tuesday night.

The new Republican group's leaders include N. Van Taylor '96 as president. Tung also resigned from the Republican Club following the vote. Fine will be first vice president and Erksine will serve as vice president in charge of coordinating speaking events.

In his letter of resignation, Erskine said "recent HRRC events have hurt the conservative cause."

HRRC President Karen E. Boyle '94 said she believes the new club was started in reaction to the Tuesday vote and that she is "angry that some of my executive board members have resigned."

"Abandoning the HRRC is the most un-Republican thing they could do," Boyle said.

Taylor's group has already produced posters advertising an organizational meeting for those "tired of talking about the issues."

"This makes the [HRRC] look bad," HRRC. Treasurer Luke A Sars field '95 said.

In a meeting with Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III on Tuesday. Taylor discussed the aim of his new group, which he says is more action and less position taking.

"It's written in their constitution that they have to do things which are mane." Taylor said. "Many members of the Republican Club are unhappy with its inactive role in the real political world.

Fine echoed similar grievances against the HRRC in his letter of resignation. "As the HRRC is currently structured, it often serves, as it did last night, as a 'Republican debating society, rather than a force for action," Fine wrote.

Taylor said he will try to recruit new members from the existing club and also try to bring speakers here.

Epps said yesterday that the split among campus Republicans is not anything new. "It seems to represent a body of opinion on campus." Epps said. "We have had three or four Republican clubs on campus before there's precedent for this."

But HRRC Vice President Thomas E. Woods '94 criticized the schism, saving a new organization is the wrong way to bring about change.

"This is a very juvenile thing to do. If these people have suggestions, they're more than welcome to express them at our meetings. There's no sense at all in dividing the Republican club this way," Woods said