BU Wipes Out Eagles, 8-2

Victory Sets Up Rematch With Harvard Monday Night

By G. BART Kasowski, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--Boston College was doomed as soon as Rene Rancourt bellowed out the last note of the national anthem into the stale Garden air.

Oh, the boys from the Heights tried hard to regain the upper hand. They proudly displayed the Bald Eagle on their jerseys and their fans desperately called out "USA, USA" after each of the Boston College goals (two total).

But if this week was the week of America's Team, then it wasn't BC that was going to get the spotlight.

Because Rene Rancourt owns Boston Garden. And when the tuxe-do-wearing Boston University alumnus pumped his fist at the end of "The Star Spangled Banner" on Monday night, he only wanted his Terriers to get all riled up.

To no one's surprise, Rancourt got his wish. Without much trouble at all, fourth-ranked BU walked all over their archrivals and left Day One of the Beanpot 8-2 winners. BU will play Harvard for the Beanpot Championship next Monday at 8 p.m.

Overpowering and outskating the Eagles, the Terriers rolled to a 4-0 lead in the first two periods, led by sophomore Steve Thornton (two goals).

Boston College closed the gap to three twice in the third stanza--but never threatened to pull away.

BU capped the game with three 'unanswered goals. Except for band members and hot-dog salesmen, the previously-packed Garden was empty by the final siren.

The fat lady didn't need to sing on this Monday night. The legendary Rancourt had seen to that.