First-Years Celebrate Weld

Renovated Yard Dormitory Hosts Ice Cream Party

By Tehshik P. Yoon

After a hectic weekend spent moving across the snow-covered Yard, 120 first-year residents were welcomed to their new home with an ice cream social last night.

Though the gathering in one of Weld's two common rooms could hardly be called a "gals," as advertised by a flyer distributed earlier in the week, many participants hailed the event as a success.

Matthews residents traded their run-down group showers for more modern, individual shower stalls and in some cases private bathrooms. "The students seem generally excited," said proctor Ellen R. Jensen.

"The rooms are great," said Patrick S. Yachimski '96. "I think we got some of the nicest rooms in the Yard."

Climate Control

Students said they also appreciated Weld's improved climate control, according to Rosanna F. Gomez '96. "The heat makes a big difference," she said.

In addition, residents will enjoy a new unity, since Weld has just one entryway. "I'll be able to meet a lot of people from the other side of Matthews because they are joined," Ishir Bhan '96 said.

The new residents were assisted in the move by employees of Goldstar Moving and Trucking, who were praised by the students. "We could label our bodies and they'll take them over," Bethany M. Leeman '96 said.

But there were those students who said they weren't pleased with some aspects of their new home, including the architecture. Since the suites lack closets, each room is equipped with a wardrobe much smaller than Matthew's large walk in closets.

Size Differences

Alexa M. Gutheil '96 said that in her suite, "one double is bigger than the common room, and the other one is smaller."

And many Weld residents said they will miss Matthews. "Weld lacks the same character," Ethan M. Phillips '96 said.