Police Commissioner Not Moving to Dallas

By Wendy M. Seltzer

Cambridge Police Commissioner Perry L. Anderson does not plan to move to Dallas, a police spokesperson said yesterday.

Spokesperson Frank T. Pasquarello called recent Dallas news reports that Anderson will leave "rumors". A television report placed Cambridge's commissioner among several candidates vying to become the Dallas police chief.

"As of [Tuesday], when I spoke with Anderson, he said, 'I'm not leaving," Pasquarello said.

Anderson could not be reached for comment. Representatives of the Dallas city government were also unavailable for comment.

If the police commissioner were to leave, it would be an abrupt departure, it would be an abrupt departure. Anderson came to Cambridge in 1991 from Miami, where he was police chief. He was a 21-year veteran of the Miami department.

He was chosen to be Cambridge's first police commissioner after a search that lasted nearly five month.

During his brief tenure in Cambridge, Anderson has earned a reputation for openness and has tried to improve relations with the community. He takes telephone calls from ordinary citizens, holds office hours and has instituted periodic open houses at police headquarters in Central Spuare.

But during Anderson's tenure, the Cambridge police force has at times drawn criticism for its treatment of Black teenagers. In Miami, Anderson was questioned for his handling of a Haitian demonstration and a disturbance in a Puerto Rican neighborhood.

Anderson's three-year contract with Cambridge expires in May, 1994