Beys Wins in Vote For Council Chair

Hanselman Elected Vice Chair

By Ivy A. Wang

The Undergraduate Council elected Michael P. Beys '94 as its new chair last night, ending one of the most heated races for the post in recent years.

Beys will succeed outgoing chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93. He defeated former Vice Chair Steven N. Kalkanis '93 by 12 votes, while Rico Reyes '93 placed a distant third, according to a source on the council.

In the election for vice chair, David L. Hanselman '94 defeated Melissa Garza '94. Treasuret Carey W. Gabay '94 and Secretary Randall A. Fine '96 rounded out last might's all male selections, as the last two candidates ran unopposed.

Soon after he was elected chair, Beys thanked the council for giving him its support.

"What an honor it is [to win the election]...You don't understand how difficult it was to run against two very good friends," Beys said. "To borrow a phrase from my predecessor, we've got to hit the ground running."

When asked what issues he would first tackle in his new capacity, Beys pledged the council would continue in the direction left by Heinicke.

After the meeting, Kalkanis said he thought the election was decided well before last night's proceedings.

"It was a hard fought campaign and I wish Mike well...I think the people had made up their minds based on their relationships and friendships with the candidates.

Both Reyes and Kalkanis said they would continue to contribute to the council in their last semester at Harvard.

While Reyes said he "will do everything [he] can to line up behind the newly elected chair," Kalkanis said he will still put "emphasis on student services, the expansion of the core curriculum and especially reforms of the finance committee."

In his campaign speech, Beys said he should serve as chair because he has worked so hard for the council and delivered what the students wanted in the past two years. He credited himself with a number of concerts, involvement in student surveys and progress on the finance committee.

"There's more than flamboyance and pizzazz. [There are] qualities like perseverance and hard work," Beys said.

Kalkanis, in his fourth year on the council, spoke of his "grand vision for this council." He said the council could provide "beneficial, tangible serves" while becoming the "central focal point of student activity on this campus." The council can only succeed in these endeavors, he said, if the council "works as a team."

Reyes, a second-semester senior like Kalkanis, listed his accomplishments on the finance committee. With his law school applications already turned in, he said there should be no question that he was running to serve the council--and not pad his resume.

"I have nothing to gain from this election but to know that I did my best," Reyes said. "My intent is sincere and my dedication is genuine."

In other business, the council approved $4,000 for Sanders Theater Presents to partially underwrite an upcoming magic show. Sanders will reduce the price of 300 undergraduate tickets to an "Evening with Penn and Teller" from more than $20 to $10. If all 300 tickets are sold, the council will recoup $1,500