Students Inaugurate New GOP HEADQUARTERS

By Sandhya R. Rao, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--A new Massachusetts College Republican Headquarters opened its doors yesterday, touted by local politicians as an incubator for G.O.P. success.

The Beacon Street suite was billed as "the first office of its type in the country" by Massacht setts Republican Party Chair Jim Rappaport.

Nearly 50 people gathered at the headquarters to watch state party officials snip a red ribbon and officially inaugurate the center.

The ceremony was characterized by enthusiastic speeches and optimistic Republicans. "Many tomorrows after today, hundreds of students are going to walk in and out of these doors to help the Republican party," said College Republican State Chair John Racho.

Lt. Gov. Paul Cellucci said, "I am confident that this will become the epicenter of Republican victories in elections to come."

"It will provide unity," said Karen E. Boyle '94, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club. "It will provide a really productive forum to bring republicans together."

Students from Boston University, University of Massachusetts at Boston and other Boston area colleges attended the grand opening.

The headquarters is presently being funded by the Republican state committee, but in six months nation-wide fundraising will support the office, said Racho, who graduated last year from Boston University.

The program calls for students, some of whom will gain college credit for their work, to research opposition strategies and voting records.

"Let the Democrats be forewarned, no stone will be left unturned," Racho said.

State officials were also very excited about the headquarters. "We want to use [college students] intelligence and commitment to issues," said Celucci. "We believe that this office will help translate into victories in 1994."

Some Republicans said that through the new headquarters, students will be able to debate with each other and interact with state politicians in order to become successful Republican candidates themselves in future elections.

Massachusetts House of Representatives Minority Leader Peter Forman said he hoped "that some of you go forward and put your name on the ballot."