College Dems President Denies He was 'Unfair'

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

It's no secret that leaders have often used the illusion of power to enact their goals. In an article published last Friday on our club, however, it is The Crimson and others who have tried to create this false illusion, not myself, while I am some-what amused by this paper's attempt to portray me as the Despot of the Democrats, the record needs to be cleared up.

Two main implications were made regarding my role in the Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats (HRCD). First, that I had been unfair in my treatment of a City Council candidate. Second, that I had either refused to consult with the executive board or falsely claimed that the current board had voted on this matter. Neither of these charges are true.

I had never talked with the City Council candidate, but had talked with his campaign manager, Greg McCann. When I related our club's policy (Which was detailed in the article), McCann told me that he understood. I would have elaborated in more detail, but there was apparently no need at the time. In this case there are only three need at the time. In this case, there are only three ways in which the candidate could have felt snubbed: 1) miscommunication between himself and his manager on the then "accepted" reasons I gave, 2) after accepting my reasons, changing his mind later without contacting me for further explanation, or 3) blowing this all our of proportion for press coverage. None of the three I could have predicted or prevented.

I can also clarify some of the reason why I was falsely accused of circumventing the executive board. I told McCann that the board had voted as on a policy of not endorsing candidates. Years ago, this was enacted because of sharp differences in individual member's political leanings. However, McCann apparently took this as a recent development, not in the historical context to which I was alluding. Unfortunately, The Crimson reporter who authored the article contacted board members (and obtained their quotes) under the pretense that I had said the current board voted on this matter, this would have been false. After interviewing McCann and then other board members. I was finally contacted. Although I explained to the reported how the misunderstanding developed the out-of-context quotes were left in the article.

Finally, there is the issue of whether I act too "unilaterally," By definition," By definition, a president has to make unilateral decisions. I will make an irrevocable decision, however, until the board votes. The candidate was only told to wait until a fair policy could be formulated by the board. If I had invited the candidate to the next board meeting, not only would that have been unilaterally decided, but a violation of the constitution of the HRCD, a document I must uphold. Also after meeting with Dean Epps. I was told that there was specific rules which must e followed if a political candidate speaks to a campus group. I contact board members must be acted upon before a board meeting can be held. On the very few occasions when a member has actually contacted me, I have tried to be as forthcoming as possible.

I do wish my alleged tyrannical nature was exposed earlier by this paper. Then, We might have actually received some press attention on our recent efforts to support the Clinton Economic plan. Had you covered this, however, you would have been disappointed. You would have seen the hard work and leadership of our club's membership. Next time, see for yourself: don't take the word of someone else. Matthew J. Strong'95   President, HRCD