Cuts Proposed for School Budget

Superintendent Recommends Moving Students, Eliminating Positions

By Sarah E. Scrogin

Cambridge School Superintendent Mary Lou McGrath last night recommended cuts which would bring the school budget in line with the City Manager's limit of nearly $80 million.

The Superintendent's recommendations would eliminate proposed positions at the Fitzgerald and Harrington Schools, reduce the staff of the Kennedy School, and transfer the sixth grade of the Haggerty School to the Tobin School.

McGrath told the School Committee her decision to eliminate four elementary positions and 2.3 secondary positions was the result of lengthy deliberations. "I feel this is the best reduction for all the children of Cambridge," she said.

School Committee members said they were reluctant to vote upon the Superintendent's proposals last night, since they had not been made public until 6 p.m. yesterday.

"Parents from the Haggerty are not even aware we are discussing moving nine students to Tobin," said member David P. Maher. "I'm not willing to do that without input from the community."

Other committee members said they were unwilling to rush budget deliberations to meet the City Manager-imposed budget deadline of April 2.

"I don't understand the slavish devotion to this date," said committee member James Rafferty. "The City Manager told us what he's giving us. He's certainly not waiting at City Hall for us to turn in our budget."

In a four-three vote, the committee finally passed the budget's bottom line of $80 million, but delayed vote on the Superintendent's proposals.

Parents and the principal of the Haggerty School said they were dismayed by the Superintendent's suggested elimination of their sixth grade.

"If we hadn't been here tonight, we would never have known about it," said Kathy B. Kelsey, who has had six children attend the school.

"I thought small classes were a good thing," said Kate C. Maceda, a parent of two kindergarteners.

Joseph N. Petner, principal of the Haggerty School, said he believes McGrath's choice is "not a good educational decision."

"Our own plan was never considered," Petner said.

McGrath said her office would consider reinstating Haggerty's sixth grade next year if enrollment rises.