Epps Will Release Race Relations Pamphlet

By John Tessitore

As part of the continuing effort to address questions of racial diversity on campus, the College administration will soon release a new handbook on race relations, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said yesterday.

Epps said in an interview that the forthcoming Handbook on Race Relations will offer an official introduction to the programs the College offers in the study and treatment of diversity issues.

"It is meant to give you a comprehensive review of race relations and resources at Harvard College and in the faculty," Epps said.

Epps said the handbook, which he expects to be released on March 19, will contain chapters on the various race relations agencies on campus, descriptions of student resources including a catalog of classes on race and ethic issues, and lists of proctors, house tutors and faculty members interested in matters of race on campus.

"It provides one central place for all the race resources to be listed," said Kyu Han '89, a graduate student intern and Canaday Hall proctor who helped Epps organize the booklet. "It just shows how much the University actually has."

In addition to the information on College race programs, the booklet will include an introductory essay written by Epps, an essay on College race relations written by Loeb Associate Professor of the Social Sciences Mars C. Waters, and President Neil L. Rudenstine's 1992 Commencement speech on freedom of speech, racial diversity and "living together."

I think it's a good resource for students and administrators to turn to when beginning to think about race relations programs," Han said.

The booklet took five months to complete because Epps added several chapters to the original plan during production, Han said.

Epps said the booklet will be distributed to the Houses, members of the faculty and prospective students as soon as it is completed.

Epps also told the Crimson yesterday that he expects a report in March from Conflict Management Inc. and Conflict Management Group, the private consulting firms that donated their services to the College in order to assess the status of race relations on campus