Council Allocates $1,000 For Green Lights' Study

By Ivy A. Wang

The Undergraduate Council voted last night to spend $1,000 on an energy study measuring the efficiency of the University's lighting facilities.

The council decided with little debate to employ students to conduct the survey provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The study will determine the potential profitability on campus of the agency's Green Lights Program.

If the program is determined to be financially expedient, it could change up to 90 percent of the University's lighting facilities to more energy efficient ones within five years.

The council's new Environmental Committee will produce a report from the survey's results at the end of the semester.

The University was not interested in the Green Lights Program when approached by the E.P.A. a couple of years ago, said Randall A. Fine '96, the bill's sponsor.

Fine said the University has not expressed interest this year either, and that there is no guarantee that the University will consider the program, regardless of the survey's results.

In other business, the council voted unanimously to appropriate $817 for a free "Battle of the Bands" concert on April 17 or April 30. The council will select three to five Harvard bands from submitted demotapes.

A resolution to allocate $2,500 for Harvard-Radcliffe Blood Drive t-shirts also passed with the council's complete approval.