Faculty Council Sets Retirement Benefits

By Alessandra M. Galloni

The Faculty Council approved a series of non-financial incentives yesterday that are intended to encourage retired professors to continue participating in the intellectual and administrative life of the University.

The incentives for the retired professors, which will be voted on by the full faculty on May 4, include opportunities to teach non-departmental courses such as first-year and house seminars, individual or group tutorials, and to advise undergraduate theses.

"We want to make sure that when people retire, they do not lose their connections with the University," said Professor of Chinese History Peter K. Bol. "It's easier to retire if you're keeping the best part...teaching and research."

Professors that teach courses will be paid a "modest honorarium," according to the guidelines governing the academic activities of retired professors.

Laboratory and office space, clerical resources and amenities like departmental mailings and invitations to Faculty meetings may also be included as benefits.

The benefits will go into effect when the University's mandatory retirement regulations are eliminated on December 31, 1993. Professors who will not have reached their 70th birthday by June 30 will be allowed to continue their professorial duties at the College.

The Council and other professors have endorsed the benefits both to allow retired professors to remain involved with University life and also to continue the inflow of new professors into the different departments, Secretary to the Faculty Council John B. Fox '59 said.

"My sense is that we all want to see that it works out so that everyone will benefits," Bol said.

The Council yesterday also changed the name for the Regional Studies of the Soviet Union program to Regional studies for Russia, Eastern Europe and Central Asia