Rudenstine Says Powell Qualified

Approves 'Non-Disruptive' Demonstrations at Commencement

By Marion B. Gammill

President Neil L. Rudenstine said yesterday that "non-disruptive" demonstrations at Commencement to protest the choice of Gen. Colin L. Powell as principal speaker and recipient of an honorary degree would be acceptable, but defended Powell's qualifications to speak on the basis of his performance in world affairs.

Rudenstine said he hoped that the day would be able to proceed smoothly. Though Rudenstine reaffirmed his personal opposition to the military's ban on homosexuals that Powell has defended, he said he would not make a statement at Commencement about his or the University's stance on the ban.

Several gay, lesbian and bisexual student groups at the University have said during the last week that they are considering a protest during the ceremony to show their opposition to Powell's support of the military's ban.

The University-wide Leadership Council will officially meet tonight to discuss issues involving Powell, including potential protests.

"Peaceful, non-disruptive forms of protest are...not in any sense out of order at this University," said Rudenstine. "If people wish to have symbolic protests on this issue as well as on other issues about which there have been symbolic protests, as long as they are not disruptive and they are in the realm of essentially trying to let people know how strongly they feel about the particular issue, that's fine."

He said, however, that he hoped students would give Powell the courtesy of listening to what he has to say.

"I would hope that Harvard as a university would be able to manage this event as a community," he said. "I would be discouraged if there were any attempt to disrupt the ceremony."

Rudenstine said that he has heard a good deal of comment about the invitation during the past few months from both inside and outside the University.

He said that around the time of the invitation to Powell, it was believed that President-elect Clinton would lift the military ban.

Rudenstine admitted, however, that some concerns were expressed at the meeting of the Board of Overseers in February.

Col. F. William Smullen, spokesperson for Powell, said two weeks ago that Powell was aware of a possible negative reaction on campus to his choice as Commencement speaker. "It's fair to say they did at one point in time express some concerns," he said. Smullen said that, though Powell has defended the ban in the past, he will support Clinton's plans to lift the ban.

Rudenstine said the invitation was meant to honor Powell for past performance, not as a statement of University policy or his personal policy.

"I disagree profoundly with him on this issue, and to the extent to which people have been hurt by or misperceived the intention of this invitation to General Powell, I think that's something that in human terms we have to do what we can in our own community and externally to repair," Rudenstine said.

Powell deserves to be listened to at Commencement, Rudenstine said, because of the general's past "extraordinary" performance