Affirmative Action Discussed

Hoyte Proposes Initiatives

By Anna D. Wilde

Breakthroughs in Harvard's approach to faculty hiring should be the University's top priority in its diversity goals, Assistant to the President and Vice President for Affirmative Action James S. Hoyte '65 said yesterday in a speech at the Kennedy School.

Speaking before approximately 50 people at the Starr Auditorium, Hoyte outlined a number of possible new initiatives in affirmative action at the University but stressed that the ideas he mentioned were his own, not official Harvard policy.

"In my view, the top priority rests in making some breakthrough in our approach to faculty hiring," Hotye said 'I would expect a major initiatives in this regard a going to be put forth by the President.

Hoyte suggested that the University could offer some form of incentive system that would "go to those parts of the University that deliver above and beyond what the goals are."

Hoyte also supported inviting more visiting professors of diverse backgrounds, arguing that their presence is beneficial to students and could help improve Harvard's image as a place comfortable for women and minorities.

"It seems to me that kind of experience is of true benefit in letting the educational world know Harvard has a critical mass of women and people of color," he said.

Hoyte also emphasized the need for a larger pool of qualified faculty and staff candidates of diverse backgrounds.

"I think Harvard must launch pipeline efforts," he said. "Harvard needs to be in a leadership position on these issue. Clearly it's not."

An annual Affirmative Action Plan released just before Spring Break said Harvard has made progress toward meeting its affirmative action goals but still needs to improve the representation of women and minorities in a number of its faculties.

Hoyte also said Harvard could institute new special staff training programs in areas where University faculties are located--giving preference to women and minority candidates. He said these programs would boost Harvard's diversity and help the local communities.

"I assume Harvard has a social responsibility that extends beyond its teaching and research," he said.

Responding to a question from the audience regarding incentives for schools to reach their affirmative action goals. Hoyte said the University presently has no power to enforce such hiring targets.

Another audience member asked Hoyte about "faculty cheerleaders" such as former Weld Professor of Law Derrick A. Bell, who side with student activities on hiring issues.

"My personal view is that he did move the issue forward," Hoyte said, "I think we should be proud when faculty members. Whatever these beliefs, are willing to stand up and be heard from."