Amy Fisher Attorney Speaks at Law School

By David B. Lat

Representing a high profile client can help the defense, said Eric Naiburg, defense attorney for Amy Fisher, to an audience of over 50 at Austin Hall last night.

Fisher, 18, is now in jail in connection with the shooting of Mary Jo Buttafuoco, the wife of an older man with whom Fisher supposedly had an affair while she was a high school student. Her case drew national attention from tabloids and inspired three made-for-TV movies.

"With high profile cases, the defense gets a unique opportunity to look at each and every juror, Naiburg said. "Also a high profile case tells the jurors that this is important. They exercise more concern in their decision--and that's pro-defense."

With the advent of "true crime" shows and talk shows that focus on crime, the opportunity to get a high profile case is greater than in the past, the New York attorney said.

Nailburg also addressed the Issue of defending clients who have actually committed the crimes for which they are on trial. He said this is the issue people ask criminal defense lawyers about most often.

But he said that the duty of the lawyer is to uphold the Constitution and the principle of "innocent until proven guilty."

If he's going to be guilty, it must be by man's law, not God's Naiburg added.

The audience included a first-year Harvard Law school student named Amy W. Fisher.

"My name is Amy Fisher, and let me tell you, it's been a long year." Fisher said to Naiburg. "Do you think she'll settle down to a nice quiet existence?"

Naiburg said that Amy Fisher, whom he described as "an enigma," does have promising expectations.

"She's an articulate, artistically talented, intelligent young lady with a great future" Naiburg said.

As for alleged lover Joseph Buttafuoco, whom Naiburg referred to as "Joey Cocoa Puffs," Naiburg predicted that he will indicted within a week on charges of statutory rape.

"I couldn't have picked a better villain," Naiburg said.

Naibrug declined to comment on which actress best portrayed his client in recent television movies about "The Army Fisher Story."

"They were all just terrible," Naiburg said. "I don't even remember their names, "he said.

"I think we'll have two or three more movies," he added. "Amy Fisher: My Days in Jail, and Amy Fisher: My Days Before the Parole Board."

The speech was sponsored by the Harvard Defenders.