Fifth-Ranked Laxwomen Showcase Balance in 13-2 Dismembering of Eagles

Crimson Will Face Strong Loyola Squad Saturday

By Peter K. Han

They're back.

The fifth-ranked Harvard women's lacrosse team, which had slipped in the national polls after a mediocre spring break showing, took a step last night toward reasserting its might with a 13-2 rout of Boston College.

The Crimson, who move to 5-2 overall (2-1 Ivy) thoroughly dominated the Eagles with a balanced scoring attack and another brilliant performance in goal by sophomore Liz Williamson.

"We definitely still have room for improvement, but as far as playing a full game with intensity and toughness, this was a good night," Co-Captain Rachel Burke said.

Co-Captain Liz Berkery agreed. "We played, for the first time this whole season, really, 60 hard minutes. We didn't have any lapses, like in the second half against Yale [two days ago]," the Eliot senior said.

Despite a brief moment of glory after scoring the first goal in last night's contest, BC was completely overwhelmed by a stingy Harvard defense and an opportunistic offense.

"The defense, as a whole, had an incredible game," Berkery said. "The defensive intensity transferred down the field to the offense, too."

Winters Hall, Colligan, Berkery, Morrison. The list of Harvard scorers stretched on as the Crimson sprinted to a 6-1 halftime lead and then kept the pressure up for the rest of the game.

'They were better than the score reflected. We were just, uh, a little more, uh...' Rachel Burke.

Chalk this win up to superior talent and to that old intangible, grit.

As Burke pointed out, "They were better than the score reflected. We were just, uh, a little more, uh...."

Indeed, Harvard's domination of the game was so thorough that it was difficult to single out any one outstanding aspect of the team's play. The Crimson just wanted to win this one real, real bad.

Fighting Doubts

After an early-season upset loss to Princeton, Harvard entered last night's game confronting doubters who said that this season's squad is slower and less aggressive than those of years past.

Consider the doubters silenced.

After the lackadaisical but comfortable win over Yale two days ago and the blowout of BC last night. Harvard has served notice that it night be ready to climb back up the rankings.

"The loss [to Princeton] was devastating, obviously," Berkery said."

"We came out flat, and we shouldn't have lost to them. After the Maryland game [Harvard's other loss this season], we had said that we didn't want to lose again, but we did. We just had to go from there, and I think we're doing all right now."

Harvard's passing, which Coach Carole Kleinfelder has pinpointed as a key area for improvement, showed marked progress last night. Time and again, Harvard capitalized on scoring opportunities with quick transition passing.

Add in a healthy does of strong back, checking by the defense, and one begins to get the idea that the wanted Crimson machine has began to shake off its rust.

The next test will be tomorrow, against a dangerous Loyola team. As Burke cautioned, "We're expecting a tough game. We lost a close one to them last season, and we're looking for revenge."

But for last night, at least, thoughts of Loyola remained some-what distant. With everything clicking against BC. everyone on the Harvard sideline was satisfied. HARVARD, 13-2 at Boston College Harvard  6  7  10 DC  1  1  13