Eating Disorders Common Among Female Undergrads

By Wendy M. Seltzer

Nearly one in five female undergraduates say they have eating disorders, according to a study conducted by Assistant Professor of Psychology Todd F. Heatherton.

The study of 775 undergraduates, reported in Friday's Gazette, also found that nearly half of the female respondents were chronic dieters.

Many more women than men were dissatisfied with their weight. According to the study, 70 percent of women want to lose weight, while only 20 percent of men were unhappy. The dissatisfied men were evenly split between wanting to lose or to gain weight.

RUS Co-Chairs Maura H. Swan '94 and Deborah J. Wexler '95 said they were not surprised by the fact that 19 percent of women on campus have eating disorders.

"I find it disturbing, but not surprising," Wexler said.

Swan said, "Since eating disorders are a part of the psychology of students who are overachievers, the statistic that one in five Harvard women have eating disorders seems realistic," Swan said. Swan attributed much of the eating disorder problem to overly-stringent cultural expectations.

"Our culture is sending a dangerous message to many women and some men that they must conform to one idealized body type," Swan said. "The slender supermodel image is just not realistic for most women."

Swan said she thinks the Eating Concerns Hotline and Outreach (ECHO) and the Bureau of Study Counsel provide essential outlets for students plagued by the disorders.

"I think that ECHO is an excellent source of support and that it also raises awareness through its postering," Swan said.

Timothy M. Hall '94, co-director of ECHO, said that students who call the hotline with problems are usually referred to the Bureau of Study Counsel or a therapist at University Health Services.

On a more encouraging note, the study found that the number of eating disorders among undergraduates has decreased from that reported in a similar survey in 1982.

Binge eating among women dropped from 26 percent in 1982 to 19 percent. Among men, the statistic dropped from 13.5 to five percent.

"[The number of Harvard women with eating problems is] significantly less than ten years ago, but it's still a startling number," Heatherton told The Gazette.

Heatherton sent questionnaires to 1,200 undergraduates and 552 women and 223 men responded.