Huskies Beat Crimson, 7-5

Rain Stops Game in Bottom of Fifth; Morgan Wins Blair Bat

By David S. Griffel

The Harvard baseball team (18-19 overall, 12-8 Ivy) can be happy it got out of Northeastern alive yesterday, but that's about all the enjoyment it will get from the proceedings in Brookline, Mass.

In a game that was called in the bottom of the fifth inning, the Huskies defeated the Crimson, 7-5.

The day started out with beautiful weather. Temperatures were in the high '80s.

Then the torrential rains and the lightning arrived with two outs in the bottom of the second inning. In all, there were four delays before the umpires finally decided to end the game.

Northeastern opened the scoring with a run in the first, but Harvard came back with five in the second, highlighted by freshman Mark Levy's two-RBI single to right.

The Huskies outdid the Crimson with a six-spot in the bottom of the second on a combination of hits and walks.

***

NOTEBOOK: On a happier note, junior Dave Morgan won the 1993 Charles H. Blair Bat, an award that is given to the player with the highest batting average in the Ivy League.

Morgan hit 470 in 20 league games, going 31-for-68.

He is the first Crimson player to win the Blair Bat since Mickey Maspons won in 1984 with a 491 batting average.

"It is definitely well deserved," Captain Mike Hill said. "He had a great year at the plate. I'm very happy for him."

Including non-league games, Morgan leads the Ivy League with eight homers and 24 RBIs. Hill is tops with 15 doubles and sophomore Scott Davidson leads the Ancient Eight with 48 strikeouts.

***

Yale Wins Ivy League Championships: Yale captured the first Ivy League Championship by sweeping Columbia, 17-7 and 11-1, last Saturday in Middletown, Conn.

The Bulldogs (31-7 overall, 16-4 Ivy) received an outstanding performance from senior Darryl Simchak, who had five hits, all for extra bases. Simchak notched a double, a triple, and hit three homers, scoring five runs and driving in nine.

With the wins ever Columbia, Yale receives an automatic bid to the 48-team NCAA baseball tournament.

Harvard was the only Ivy League team this year to split its season series with Yale.

Brown and Dartmouth each lost three of four, while Columbia, Cornell, Princeton and Penn were all swept by the Bulldogs.

The Ivy Championship adds another type of crown in career of first year Yale Head Coach John Stuper.

Stuper was a pitcher on the 1982 St. Louis Cardinals World Series championship team.

***

Yankee Doodle Dandy: Nick Delvecchio '92 is making a big hit, literally, in the New York Yankee organization this year.

Playing for the Class-A Greensboro Hornets, Delvecchio is first among Yankee minor league players in homers (seven) and RBIs (21) and second in batting average (.373) through his first 22 games.

Delvecchio's hot start earned him a two-page article in the May 18 issue of Yankees Magazine.

Steve Schlosser's piece "From Harvard Yard Comes Brains, Brawn and Some Bash," says that the Yankees are very impressed with his power, but that he needs to improve on his fielding.

"The biggest differences I have found between pro ball and college ball is that in the pros there are a lot more and better off-speed and breaking pitches and every night in pro ball you face good pitching," Delvecchio says in the article.

Last year at Harvard, Delvecchio batted 370.

His 44 hits included 10 doubles, three triples and eight homes, and he drove in 38 runs.

He was named to the EIBL All-Stars Second Team at the designated hitter position when he played for the Crimson.