HDS Food Safety Is Questioned

News Analysis

By Stephen E. Frank

James S. Burke reported to work at the Harvard Union for the last time on September 6, 1984.

Nine months later, in the early morning of June 12, 1985, the former cook at the College's largest dining hall succumbed to AIDS-related tuberculosis at Boston's Beth Israel Hospital.

Though it happened eight years ago, Burke's death still haunts many of his one-time co-workers. In recent interviews with The Crimson, the workers said they are concerned that Burke may have presented a health threat to thousands of students who ate the food he prepared.

Burke died long before the Union's current management staff was in place and six years before Harvard Dining Services (HDS) Director Michael P. Berry was even appointed.

But some HDS employees said they worry about persistent hazards to students caused by what they claim are improper labor management practices at Harvard. Chief among the employees' complaints are charges that dining hall managers force them to work when they are sick. HDS administrators have denied the allegations.

Several of the workers cited the Burke case as an example of what can happen when dining hall management goes wrong.

According to his colleagues, Burke continued to prepare food while he was deathly ill. And according to one fellow cook, Burke often failed to use the required plastic gloves, even on one occasion when he had an open blister on his hand.

Burke never informed anyone at work that he was HIV-positive, several of his co-workers said, though they said he appeared gaunt and sickly in the months preceding his departure. One co-worker said Burke made repeated trips to the Harvard-affiliated medical clinic frequented by many HDS employees.

"I've seen him work sick," said the worker, speaking on condition of anonymity. "He was visibly sick."

The Union workers said that although the Burke case is ancient history for most Harvard students--and although there have been significant changes in HDS management since then--not much has changed in the University's kitchens. In fact, the workers said, things may have gotten worse.

Since Berry arrived at Harvard, most workers agreed, the College's kitchens have been clean. Employees said they wash their hands and usually, though not always, wear gloves.

But instances of dangerous health conditions still exist, the workers said. In one documented case at the Union, a cook was reprimanded in writing for serving underwarmed food.

"[When] the internal temperature was checked, it was far below...the acceptable serving temperature," said the reprimand, which was issued by Union Manager Katherine E. D'Andria. "This represents...the possibility of endangering the health of the students that were eating that meal."

And in dozens of interviews with The Crimson, workers at dining halls across the College complained of being forced to work when they are sick.

"There's always a fear that you're going to be terminated because of your absences," said Janet Dean, a general service worker at the Quincy House dining hall.

"I just got a written warning because I've been out seven days," Dean said. "I've got letters from the doctor, but they don't want those. They say I'm setting up a pattern."

"They don't seem to believe in doctors' notes," said Ordis W. Whitmore, a cook at Quincy House.

Besides alleging violations of fair labor standards for sick leave, the dining hall employees said their managers may be putting students at risk.

"I've seen people come in working with colds," said a cook at the Union, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Berry has vigorously denied the claims.

The HDS director cited the latest contract between Harvard and the dining hall workers' labor union, which requires the University to conduct audits of employee absences two times a year.

According to the contract, employees with three or more years of service are eligible for 15 fully paid sick days each year.

But Berry acknowledged that he has ordered managers to crack down on abuses of sick leave.

"It has been tougher since I've been here," Berry said, adding that the type of illness affecting the worker is not a concern.

"We're not concerned with why the person was out," he said.

And according to Carolyn R. Young '76, Harvard's associate director for labor relations in the Office of Human Resources, the sick days are only to be used when employees are actually sick, not as extra vacation time.

"That whole mindset is an important one to change," Young said. "A doctors' note is not enough to keep someone out of discipline if their attendance record is bad."

But workers said that policy is wrong, and some said it might turn Harvard into a dangerous place to eat.

"Years ago if you had a cold and were coughing all the time, they'd send you home," said James H. Neil, an assistant chief shop steward for the labor union. "Now, they don't even do that.

Berry has vigorously denied the claims.