Bentley Honored

Senior Co-Captain Named to First Team, Brown and Princeton Dominate Awards

By Y. TAREK Farouki

This year's first team All-Ivy men's lacrosse squad includes just one Harvard player: Co-captain defender Eric Bentley.

The senior from Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y. has been the Crimson's anchor on defense and on the fields in general this year and joins Princeton senior David Morrow, Yale junior Dan DeTolla and Cornell junior Dave Schneld on the first team All-Ivy squad's defensive unit.

"He was definitely one of the league's standouts on defense this year," said senior attacker Marty Dolan. "He ran our whole defense, and I didn't see anyone better on any other team."

Named to the second team All-Ivy squad was freshman attacker Mike Eckert.

The rookie from Pittsford, N.Y. stepped up this season and bolstered the Crimson's offense as the team's leading scorer.

"Eckert showed a lot of composure this year," Dolan said. "Next year's team has a nice foundation for the attack because offensively they'll have a lot of talent coming back."

Sophomore midfielder Steve Gaffney received an honorable mention from the Ancient Eight's coaches for his play this season.

But Dolan said that next year's team will have to find some people to replace departing defenders and seniors Bentley, Co-captain Chad Prusmack, Read Hubbard, and Mark Blake.

Dolan also said that it would be hard for him to leave the team.

"It's sad because I really enjoyed playing this year," Dolan said. "I felt that this team was the closest I've played on, and a lot of that came from this season's captains. I have nothing but fond memories."

***

Brown and Princeton Clean Up: Princeton boasts five of the eleven players on the first team All-Ivy squad, while Brown produced both the Ancient Eight's player of the year and rookie of the year.

Tiger juniors Kevin Lowe, Taylor Simmers, Scott Reinhardt, and netminding sensation Scott Bacigalupo join senior David Morrow on the all-star team.

Unfortunately, the Crimson will have to face four out of those five players again next year.

Watch out for the second-ranked Tigers to dominate the league again next season.

Although Brown may have been shafted by the NCAA selection committee (the seventh-ranked Bears failed to make the tournament despite having a better record than Maryland), the team boasts the best senior and freshman in the league, according to the Ancient Eight's coaches.

Senior Andy Towers, the Bear's all-time leading goal-scorer with 150 tallies, led the league in overall and Ivy scoring this season (67 and 31 points respectively).

The league picked freshman David Evans as its rookie of the year for this play in the Bear's attack.