Hillel Construction Noisy, But No Complaints

News Briefs

By Jonathan P. Hooks

While students may privately complain about the noise, construction on the new Hillel building has thus far brought no official complaints, said Scott Levitan, an assistant vice president for Harvard Real Estate.

Though some Lowell House residents were said to have been disturbed by the noise generated by the project, Levitan said "no one has reported any problems."

The plans as a whole had been thoroughly discussed in advance with House masters and tutors.

"We did a lot of up front planning to ameliorate the effect it would have on students," said Levitan, who is in charge of HRE's construction and planning group.

Lowell House residents interviewed yesterday said the construction was noisy, frequently waking them early in the morning and disturbing their studying.

"It starts around eight every morning and stops before five," said Bill F. Bradley '95, who described the work as "very loud, noisy."

But most residents said they have adjusted to the constant noise and now go to the library instead of studying in their rooms.

Said one resident, "It actually isn't that bad."