Dunster Master Accepts Blame

Liem Denies Unfair Hiring at Meeting

By Elie G. Kaunfer

Dunster House Master Karel F. Liem yesterday apologized to tutors and students for his handling of charges by eight Dunster tutors who last week publicly protested allegedly nepotistic hiring practices by a house official.

"I take the blame for what has happened," Liem said during a three-hour meeting of 40 tutors and students. "Many of my really good tutors have been dragged through the mud. I triggered that."

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 apparently intervened Monday, pressuring Liem not to fire any of the eight tutors, according to Dunster Senior Tutor Henriette L. Power. Power said last night's tutor meeting was opened to the general Dunster community at her and Jewett's request.

Jewett did not return repeated phone calls yesterday.

Liem denied that there was a "witch-hunt" to identify the eight tutors, who had met with Jewett in March and spoke anonymously to The Crimson last week. He also denied that there had been any improprieties in the tutor hiring process.

Eight tutors charged last week that Vincent W. Li'87 had influenced Liem in hiring Li's brother, girlfriend and longtime friend. They questioned why Li was present at a student interview of his brother in February.

Liem had threatened to fire Sophie Volpp--one of the eight tutors who met with Jewett--on Thursday night, several tutors said yesterday.

Volpp yesterday denied charging Li with nepotism, but said she wanted Liem to clarify the house's hiring practices for tutors. Volpp said she went to Jewett only after she was convinced Liem would "not listen to her."

Liem said he felt a "mutual distrust" between him and Volpp, but Volpp said last night that she felt she did not have a chance to voice her opinion on Thursday, and said she still trusted Liem.

Liem's willingness to hold last night's meeting to hear tutor and student concerns contrasted with tutors' descriptions of the mood at Dunster House last weekend.

Power said tutors were "running scared" since Thursday when Liem heard that tutors were talking to the press. "Generally, people are concerned now about speaking out on the issue of tutor hiring."

In addition to Volpp, tutor Jonathan Cohen acknowledged yesterday that he had met with Jewett and spoken with The Crimson, saying he was under the impression that any public complaint about hiring practices would result in repercussions from the mas- ter.

Li-who has been charged with nepotism because of his influence over Liem and his presence at his brother's interviews-admitted yesterday that his involvement in the hiring process may have been inappropriate.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have been there," Li said, but maintained that he did "nothing wrong."

Co-Master Hetty Liem said last night that she asked Li to attend the interview after the first student-led interview "did not go as well as it could have."

Tutors and students last night expressed concern that Li and and his brother William would jointly run the pre-med committee next year. Students said if they had a problem with one of the pre-med tutors, they would not feel comfortable going to his brother.

"It's asking a lot of students to feel comfortable with that situation." said Power. "Why should we put people through this angst?"

But Liem said he had no problem with assigning the task to the brothers, saying students could come to him or Power if they had a problem with either Vincent or William Li.

People Are Scared'

Dunster students said last night they felt they could not approach the Liems about the recent controversy over tutor hirings. "I definitely think people are scared," said Emily C. McNeal '93.

Tutors and students made numerous suggestions improve student tutor relations and to avoid the perception of unfair hiring practices in the future.

The meeting became heated at one point when Power said students told her Liem had yelled at them in the dinning hall when they tried to talk about the tutor issue. Both Hetty and Karel Liem emphatically denied ever yelling at students.

Liem said he would consider making the tutor selection process more consistent and codifying it in a written statement for students to see.

He also said he thought the idea of holding office hours once every two weeks during dinner was "a good idea."

Liem said he approved of more tutor student contact in the form of a "more mandatory" sophomore outing in the fall and the invitation of students to a tutor barbecue

People Are Scared'