Owen Tenured In History

By Alessandra M. Galloni and Anna D. Wilde

Edward Roger J. Owen, an expert in modern Middle Eastern political and economic history from Oxford University, has accepted a tenured position in the History department.

When he arrives in the fall, Owen will teach both a survey course and conference course on the modern Middle East, said Acting History Department Chair John Womack Jr.

"He has done some major studies, both in economic history since 1800 and in the formation of political institutions and states in the modern Middle Eastern world," Womack said.

Owen will fill a gap in the History department's offerings in Middle Eastern studies, which has been temporarily filled by a number of "term appointments," Womack said.

"It is our first appointment at a sensor level in the modern period for that area," Womack said.

Associate Professor of History Zachary Lockman, who taught a conference course on modern Middle Eastern history this year but is leaving Harvard after this semester, said Owen will be a "tremendous gain" for Middle Eastern studies at Harvard.

"He's an excellent scholar and an outstanding teacher," Lockman said. "He's written the best general economic history in the Middle East and a wide range of books and articles."

In addition to The Middle East in the World Economy. Owen has written books on the trade and development of Egyptian economy.

He has edited volumes on the economic and social history of 19th and 20th century Palestine and Israel, the 18th century Islamic World and the 1986 Suez crisis.

The appointment is a triumph for the department, Womack said.

"It's terrific," he said. "We did a lot of work to try to make it an attractive place for him to come. We'se delighted that he will be here in September.