A Brief History of Harvard Sports

May 7, 1993

Joe Restic was Harvard's head football coach when Bill Clinton took over the White House. He was here when George Bush moved in. He was here for Ronald Reagan (twice) and Gerald Ford. He even saw a little bit of Tricky Dick.

Restic coached his first game of Harvard football in 1971. But at his team's traditional spring practice, Restic announced that the upcoming season will be his 23rd and last.

"This is a decision I've reached after several months of thought," Restic said. "It's been a long time coming."

Restic will leave Harvard as its winningest and losingest coach, as well as the man who coached Harvard football for longer than any other. His steadfast commitment to the ideal of amateurism in college sports made Harvard a perfect match for him.

In the 1970s and '80s, Restic was known as an offensive innovator. His "Multi-Flex" offense tentured many tactics unorthodox at the time. Today, those same tactics putting men in motion, spreading the field, single back and no-back sets--are the norm in college and professional football.

Restic's departure marks the end of an era. The athletic department has said it will select a new coach by the end of this year.