Finding Public Policy

Radcllffe's Next Logical Stop

By Rebecca M. Wand

Under the leadership of President Linda S. Wilson, Radcliffe college is encouraging women to shape public policy on important societal issues.

In 1991, Wilson added public policy to Radcliffe's traditional roles of educating and inspiring women and serving as a center for research by and about women.

At the time, Wilson called the new commitment "a logical next step in Radcliffe's development."

Since then, Radcliffe has followed up on this plan through new programs such as fellowships for visiting scholars to pursue research projects in public policy and forums for undergraduates and policy makers.

The initiative has attracted many guests to the college, including former Vermont Gov. Madeleine M. Kunin, who was Radcliffe's first Distinguished Fellow in Public Policy last fall, as well as policymakers like Radcliffe Fellow at the Bunting Institute Barbara A. Hildt, a human rights advocate who established the Office of Violence Prevention in the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

The public policy initiative, how-ever, is still largely in the development stages.

"It's hard to talk as if it's a going entity yet," says Public Policy Fellow Pamela S. Green.

Green is one of five women who hold Public Policy Fellowships, positions established by the college to allow visiting scholars to pursue projects in public policy.

Green, an attorney and health cars expert who has helped shape Massachusetts' health care legislation, is using her fellowship to study health care insurance.

As a fellow, not only can she help pinpoint policymakers she has worked with to participate in events, but she can also be valuable to students. "If [students are] interested, I'm sure any one of us would be delighted to talk with them," Green says. "We're a University resource."

Undergraduates can become involved in the college's public policy programs through several channels, including partnerships with visiting scholars, symposia on women's leadership and on public policy, and through Education for Action, an organization that aids students interested in social action.

Radcliffe Assistant Dean Rosa B. Shinagel says she was particularly excited by the two forums held this spring that put undergraduates in contact with policy makers.

At the first of the events, approximately 80 students talked with policy makers about children at risk. At the second, some 50 students dealt with women as an emerging poverty class.

"It was a very personal experience," says Shinagel. "Everybody hung around after it was over. Students met other students who had shared experiences and they started talking to public policy experts. The thing just had a life of its own."

To some extent, however, although the college's new emphasis on public policy was inspired by Wilson, the initiative will not require new programs. Instead, some old programs will be recast in light of new goals. Education for Action, for instance, has existed for 27 years.

"Radcliffe didn't just suddenly stumble on public policy," says Radcliffe Director of Public Information Aida K. Press. "Radcliffe has always been interested in women's participation in public policy."

Nevertheless, the program seems to be making some impact already. "It's still very much in the making," says Public Policy Fellow Wendy Kaminer. "Since Linda [Wilson] came and started the initiative I think there's been more and more public policy events and more concern about integrating public policy into events."

Education for Action Coordinator Faith E. Adiele '86-'87 said the initiative, while young, is already making a difference. "It's definitely changing the climate," she says. "The kinds of scholars it's brought, it's created a climate that's better for Education for Action."

Wilson has taken a personal interest and has spoken out repeatedly in favor of expanding the role of Radcliffe, into the arena of politics and government. It's clear that she hopes Radcliffe's new commitment to public policy will not only improve the climate on the Garden Street campus, but will also have a broader impact in the outside world.

As Wilson said when she announced the initiative, "The full participation of women, especially well educated women, is needed in shaping and governing society."