What Is To Be Done?

OPTION #1

The Status Quo

PLUSES

The status quo costs no more money. Even without change, Harvard's commitment to athletics in general is almost without parallel. The University has more athletes and varsity sports than any other Division I school in the nation.

MINUSES

The status quo is a public relations nightmare. The department has taken a beating from athletes, coaches and The Crimson's editorial page. Minor changes may help the public perception, but the promotion of women's golf to varsity status--the department's strongest Title IX-related initiative of the year--can't be sold as an increased commitment to Harvard's women athletes.

Besides, Cleary, and his top two lieutenants, Senior Associate Directors of Athletics Fran Toland and Patricia Henry, may not be able to stand another year of discussing Title IX. They have basically stopped talking about it anyway, and all three did not return phone calls seeking comment for this article.

OPTION #2

The Stanford Plan

PLUSES

Faced with similar opposition from players and coaches, Stanford University this spring announced an ambitious plan to increase participation by female athletes by pumping a million extra dollars a year into women's sports teams. The Stanford plan provides new facilities and support staff for women's programs, and lifts three teams to the varsity level.

Harvard could do the same thing. Big winners would likely be the women's ice hockey and softball teams, which are significantly undersupported in comparison to their male counterparts. But all women's sports would likely see more money, and male athletes might also benefit if new facilities were constructed.

Such a plan could be tied to a change in Harvard's recruiting and admissions procedures. Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid William Fitzsimmons '67 is generally reluctant to change his ways, but he also knows how to. After only 95 Black students matriculated in the class of 1996 the previous spring. Fitzsimmons launched an intensive and ultimately successful recruiting campaign which will bring nearly twice as many Blacks to the class of 1997.

The biggest plus: Such a plan puts the issue of Title IX to rest.

MINUSES

Such a plan costs a lot, and the department has already had to make some staff cuts. The Faculty of Arts and Sciences doesn't have money to burn. Knowles has already asked the Faculty to tighten their belts, reduce photo-copying and buy in bulk. It probably doesn't have a million dollars for a women's athletics program.

OPTION #3

The Axe Falls

PLUSES

If you can't add, subtract. Under this plan, the financially strapped Athletic Department would cut men's sports in order to free up money for women's teams and to achieve a greater overall balance in support between men's and women's teams.

In an interview with The Crimson last month, head foot ball coach Joe Restic predicted that such a plan would be necessary at many schools nationwide.

"You have to say, 'where's he money going to come from?" Restic says. "I think the [participation] percentage is a key factor... But some schools can't get to that because they don't have the resources, and where are you going to get them? Cut the sports. And that's what will happen."

MINUSES

Restic, mind you, doesn't necessarily think this is the answer Everyone hates cutting teams, and eliminating men's programs could have serious consequences, from student protests to alumni complaints to lawsuits.

The men's swim team at the University of Arkansas, which was cut under a plan to bring the school into compliance with Title IX, has already filed suit. They charge that the elimination of their program violated the equal protection under the law principle of the 14th Amendment.

OPTION #4

The Compromise

PLUSES

This is a slight variation on the Stanford plan The emphasis of this plan would be increasing participation Rudenstine's main concern while spending as little money as possible.

The keys to increasing participation are hiring more coaches and allocating more money to recruiting budgets to save money, some current coaches could be asked to take on extra duties with different sports during their off seasons.

The department could also take steps to eliminate non-financial discrepancies. Practice times can be changed. Small perks, like team photography, could be equalized across the entire department.

The benefits of this plan might be felt more in the junior varsity programs. Many men's and women's teams have basically the same number of athletes competing at the varsity level. It's on the JV level that discrepancies show up.

This could be a way out.

MINUSES

Compromises can please everyone, or no one. Women's coaches will love the expanded recruiting and more players, but would those opportunities be increased enough to keep women athletes from dropping out of Harvard sports?