Cops, FBI Warn Of Mail Bombs

Follows Tragedy at Other Schools

By Joe Mathews

Following two mail bombings at universities last week that seriously injured prominent scholars, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Harvard police department are waging an educational campaign on how to open letters and packages.

A flyer distributed by Harvard police and a voice message left in all University telephone mail boxes by the Harvard Telephone Office instructs all students, faculty and staff to "exercise special caution in handling incoming mail."

The FBI has issued a checklist of "letter and parcel bomb recognition points." That list indicates that excessive postage, oily stains or discolorations, the absence of a return address and protruding wires or tinfoil can all be signs of a mail bomb.

"We've sent out an alert basically to each university in the country," said Bill Carter, an FBI spokesperson in Washington D.C. "Do you know the person the letter was sent from? If you don't, you should be very cautious."

Police and federal officials urge university affiliates to be especially wary of mail packaged in padded manila envelopes.

The campaign came in response to attacks last week on two prominent scientists with some association in the field of genetics. Charles Epstein, head of medical genetics at the University of California at San Francisco, lost several fingers last Tuesday when he opened a package at his home.

Last Thursday, Yale computer scientist David Gelertner, whose brother and sister-in-law are Yale geneticists, was seriously injured by a similar bomb.

Carter, a spokesperson with the FBI in Washington D.C., said his office had taken no special precautions in relation to high profile universities. He said the onus fell on university police departments to increase awareness of the possible dangers in the mail.

Lt. Lawrence J. Murphy, the officer-in-charge of the Harvard Police Department, did not return a phone call yesterday.

FBI officials, including Carter, have said they believe the bombings are part of a string of 12 similar incidents dating back 15 years. The first device was detonated in 1978, injuring a security guard at Northwestern University.

To date, the mail bombs have caused one death and 23 injuries