Council Discusses Tourism

By Ira E. Stoll

Members of the Mayor's Commission on Cambridge as a Destination who came to last night's City Council meeting with ideas on boosting visits to the city were met by councillors concerned about the cost of the plans and possible adverse effects on city residents.

The commission, which has been meeting since it was established last September, put forth an innovative series of ideas in its report presented last night at a city hearing.

The report proposed increased use of the Charles River as an axis for transportation and as a visitor attraction. It also recommended commuter boats and water taxis that would stop near Harvard Square and at various hotels along the Charles River, as well as at the Cambridge side Galleria. Boat service might also continue to Boston Harbor and Logan Airport.

The report also recommended that the council create a new agency to coordinate marketing efforts for the city as a destination. The new office would coordinate the efforts of the Chamber of Commerce and Cambridge Discovery, two agencies that currently provide visitor services. The report asked the city to fund the new agency for about $200,000 a year.

The commission explored the idea of building a convention center in Cambridge, but it came to no conclusive recommendation on that topic.

Throughout the discussion of Cambridge as a destination, speakers stressed the need to avoid the tacky aspects of tourism.

"We're above tourism, because certainly we couldn't have people coming in and leaving trash on our streets and staring at us," said Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72, who appointed the commission.

Michael Levie, general manager of the Royal Sonesta Hotel, who chaired the commission, said, "we do not want to congest our streets more, "we do not want to complicate our infrastructure more."

Levie outlined ways for the city to attract "better selected tourists," and to keep "a better grip on them" while they are in the city.

"Residents can get a more controlled tourism, yet with an enhanced yield," Levie said, arguing that even if the number of tourists remained the same, the city could reap more tax money from their economic spinoff with careful planning.

"Controlled tourism" seemed the paramount concern for some councillors and residents at the meeting, and the emphasis was on the control.

"I do not want tourists to take away the beauty of the city and the positive aspects for the residents," Councillor Alice K. Wolf said.

"I don't want my city to become Disney World or Fanueil market," said Councillor Edward N. Cyr.

One resident, James Williamson, went so far as to suggest that rather than encouraging people to consider Cambridge as a destination, the council might try to enhance the city's attraction as "a point of departure."

"Harvard Square has become a really tourist kind of environment. I think it's a real danger," Williamson said, noting the trolleys full of tourists who come to gawk at the Square and its inhabitants. "We're being turned into participants in a fishbowl experience."

Despite the cautions, however, there seemed to be considerable support for much of the commission's report.

Cyr said hotel jobs for immigrants and young people were a necessary component in a city where many careers are open only to those with advanced degrees.

"As part of a strategy for a diversified municipal economy, this gives us some direction," Cyr said.

Jobs for City Residents

Wolf asked the commission to address specifically the issue of jobs for city residents. She also asked the commission to try to promote programs that would benefit, educate and attract Cambridge residents as well as tourists.

Simple pride was another factor that, in addition to the economic factors, appeared to help tourism promoters conquer the fears of some city residents.

Said Wolf, "We are all very, very proud of our city and would like to show it to as many people as we possibly can."

Reeves said, "The city of Cambridge is a very charmed, magical, wonderful and exciting place."

The mayor said tourism needn't be tacky or intrusive, but should be thought of as including people who travel to the city for business or to attend scientific and academic conferences. He said the present resources for welcoming visitors to the city are sorely lacking.

"We need so desperately a decent brochure. We need desperately a decent video," Reeves said.