Law Building Almost Finished

Architect Spars With Contractor Over Yet-to-Be-Named Hall

By Gaston DE Los reyes

The Harvard Law School campus will finally have a quadrangle again as construction nears completion on the 53,000 square foot Holmes Field building.

The semi-circular building, which will provide a northern terminus to Holmes Field, will provide the Law School with space in the form of 35 faculty offices, two 50-person lecture halls, three seminar rooms and a computer center.

The post-modern design incorporates historical details from other Harvard buildings, most notably H.H. Richardson's Austin and Sever Halls. The building is expected to be completed in December.

The project is part of the Campaign for Harvard Law School, which is three years into its five years $150 million drive.

The present name of the building is only temporary as the Law School seeks a $10 million dollar donation to name the building permanently. Rumors this week indicated that a donor will be announced soon.

Vincent A. Cortina, project architect from Kallman, McKinnel and Wood, the firm which designed the building, said construction is on schedule.

"[The Law School is] very happy with the building Cortina said. "They've been very cooperative, and very sympathetic with us."

Daniel O'Connell's Sons, the construction company chosen for the project began work last June. Cortina said work with O'Connell's Sons has been difficult.

"I wish it weren't such a struggle," said Cortina, "and that they could be a little more cooperative out there."

Cortina added, though, "The building looks really nice... We're very pleased."

The construction company has been sued by the Boston Ballet for breach of contract, negligence and breach of implied duty of good faith and fair dealing.

According to court documents, the ballet sued the construction company for failing to insulate a pipe which burst in the cold and caused substantial damage.

Robert W. Harrington, Boston Ballet's attorney, said the case is still pending.

Cortina, who said he was unaware of the complaint, said, "I'm out there [at the construction site] to make sure nothing like that happens."