Phi Betas, Alumni Gather

Mailer Addresses Class of '43

By Rebecca M. Wand

American culture suffers from too much plastic, television and advertising, Pulitzer-prize author Norman Mailer '43 told several hundred of his classmates yesterday at a 50th reunion symposium.

The program, entitled "'43 Into the Future," featured Mailer, former Washington Post Executive Editor Benjamin C. Bradlee, Resolution Trust Corp. President Albert V. Casey and Yale University's Professor Emeritus of History John Morton Blum.

"What we have for the American future is a virus--a three-pronged virus: plastics, television and advertisement," Mailer said. "The depth of the damage we've done ourselves over the past 50 years is appalling."

After hearing prepared remarks, classmates asked the speakers about topics such as violence, the American family and the future of the class of '43.

"There's no violence in America that isn't in your livingroom every goddamn night," Bradlee told the alumni. "I play a game with myself to see how many violent acts start off the evening news."

Prompted by a question from a female listener, Mailer and Bradlee reflected that as students at an all-male school, the feminist revolution was not foremost in their minds during their undergraduate years.

The issue of women, Mailer said, was whether to date a Radcliffe student or find some "wheels" to pursue a Wellesley girl.

"Women were there as a source of pleasure and possibly responsibility," he said.

At one point, Casey looked into the crowd and commented that most of the people there looked like country club board directors, a breed he says tends to criticize politicians and culture.

Casey urged the class not to yield to these tendencies. "You have no right to criticize unless you contribute," he said.

While Casey called for his class mates to get involved, others were more philosophical about the class future.

"My interest for the future is trying to get to the truth," Bradlee said.

Blum felt reflection was key to realizing a bright future. "The trick for the future is to recognize the mistakes we've made and not to let the future be captured by the past," Blum said