Governor Develops Report On Gay Issues

By Marion B. Gammill

The Higher Education Committee of Gov. William F. Weld '66's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth last month released a comprehensive report calling for sweeping changes in the way colleges treat students who are gay, lesbian or bisexual.

The report, titled "Making Colleges and Universities Safe for Gay and Lesbian Students," is the first of its kind to be released by a governor in the nation. It was sent to college administrators and student group leaders across the state, the governor's office said this week.

The report was formulated using the recommendations of various students, faculty and school officials interviewed at hearings this winter and fall, according to principal author and research consultant Warren J. Blumenfeld.

The Higher Education Committee is chaired by the Rev. G. Stewart Barns, Harvard's Episcopal chaplain.

The report is divided into three main sections: a history, a list of problems facing gay, lesbian and bisexual students on college and university campuses today and a series of recommendations for school administrations.

Two incidents at Harvard from the fall of 1991 are mentioned in a list of examples of violence and harassment at Massachusetts institutions: a November 1991 issue of the conservative student magazine Peninsula, which criticized homosexuality and the "homosexual lifestyle," and the postering of signs around campus urging "Harvard: Don't Recruit Homosexuals!"

Recommendations for colleges and universities include the maintenance of a "safe space" for gay, lesbian and bisexual students; non-discriminatory policies regarding sexual orientation; training and education about gay, lesbian and bisexual issues for faculty, staff and students; and the inclusion of gender studies into the course curriculum.

Dennis S. Lin '93-94, co-chair of the undergraduate Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Student Association (BGLSA), said he spoke to the committee this past winter about his experience as an openly gay student at Harvard. He said he thought the report was very thorough, adding that he believed it greatly resembled the list of recommendations that the Leadership Council of campus gay, lesbian and bisexual student groups presented to President Neil L. Rudenstine this spring.

Lin said he thought that some of the committee's recommendations would have to be adjusted to work with the decentralized structure of Harvard. "But I would love the administration to take a look at curricular, educational materials, that sort of thing."

Blumfield, who has written and spoken for several years on the dangers of homophobia, agreed with Lin.

Though he praised Harvard's large number of student groups and said the atmosphere is usually open, he also said that "it would be great for Harvard to have a gay, lesbian and bisexual studies department and some more interdisciplinary courses."

Rudenstine said in an interview Tuesday that if he had received the report, he had not yet looked at it. He said he feels that Harvard works very hard to make gay, lesbian and bisexual students feel safe and accepted. "My sense is that there is a strong commitment on the part of people to be genuinely welcoming and open with gay and lesbian students as well as with all sorts of students," Rudenstine said.

Associate Registrar Thurston A. Smith, head of the Harvard Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Network, said while he thinks Harvard "gets a pretty fair rating," there still is work to be done, especially in terms of educating students, faculty and staff about sensitivity to gays, lesbians and bisexuals.

"I'd like to see every dean at Harvard read this," Smith said