CAMBRIDGE CARIBBEAN AND BRAZILIAN FESTIVAL

Note: All information included here is tentative. David Martin, the festival's director, said yesterday that arrangements and schedules would be finalized today. The rain date is Sunday, August 8.

All events are scheduled to take place on Saturday, August 7.

12 noon--Festivities begin at MIT University Park near Central Square. Vendors will sell different kinds of ethnic food as musicians and dancers from such countries as Jamaica, Trinidad, Guiana and Barbados perform.

At noon, most bands will begin playing, and a few vendors will begin serving food.

1 p.m.--A parade of costumed musicians, dancers and dignitaries begins at the corner of Blackstone and Western Avenues.

Police will stop traffic. The parade proceeds up Western Ave. (in the same direction as one might go if driving against the one-way traffic that usually fills the street).

At Massachusetts Ave., the parade turns right.

The parade continues all the way to Sydney St., where it turns right again. It ends at the Central Square fire station.

1 to 3 p.m.--A variety of performances and presentations by cultural, musical and dance groups begins.

Musical and dance groups scheduled to perform at the festival include:

* "Punto Sereno," a group of Puerto Rican and Hispanic teenage dancers.

* "Jahamen and Company," an organization of Nyabingi drummers.

* "Conscious" with Aerostrength and friends, a live reggae band.

* "Dreamers," the summer youth dance performance troupe of Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72.

* "Jamnastics," a group which performs gymnastics to music.

* "Rhumbafrica," a "world music group."

In addition, numerous disc jockeys including Daughter Ruler and Screechy and Company will be in attendance, according to Carl Greenaway, who is in charge of music entertainment for the festival.

When:

Saturday, August 7, from noon to 8 p.m.

Where:

At the MIT University Park near Central Square and at various points around Cambridge.

What's on tap:

A parade of costumed dancers and musicians begins at the corner of Blackstone and Western Avenues at 1 p.m., with Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves as grand marshal. The parade finishes at 3 p.m. in the park, where food, music and other activities await paradegoers.