High Hopes For Talented M. Tennis Team

FALL SPORTS ROUNDUP

By Y. TAREK Farouki

The Harvard men's tennis team startled everyone last year. The Crimson turned what was supposed to be an infamous "rebuilding year" into a stellar season.

That's good news.

Now, Harvard finds itself with all of last year's players except for one.

Pete Stovell '93 moved on to bigger and better things.

But the Crimson retains everyone else, including number one seed and the team's 1993 MVP junior Andrew Rueb and junior Umesha Wallooppillai as well as last season's freshmen sensations, ECAC Rookie of the Year Todd Meringoff, Daniel Chung, and Howard Kim.

That's better news.

Head Coach David Fish '72 and Captain Marshall Burroughs lead the team into the fall season with very high expectations.

"I don't think there is anyone on the team with an overwhelming ego," Fish said. "And that's very important."

The defending ECAC Champion Crimson will be the target of every team this fall, but Fish relishes his team's current role and wants Harvard to play the country's best squads.

"It's a cliche but exposure creates composure," Fish said.

Last spring Harvard made it to the NCAA tournament but exited early after losing to powerhouse North Carolina. For Fish and his team, the fall is the time to gather that all important composure it may need come tournament time. After all, this year a great season would surprise no one.