Let the Games Begin...

Why Ask Y

By Y. TAREK Farouki

There's a hopeful buzz around Harvard's athletic fields, and it can only mean one thing.

Another year of Crimson sports is about to start. The glowing ember that has quietly burned for three months will burst into flame anytime now, and the games will begin again.

Harvard's athletes and coaches will throw all their energy, talent and skill into competition once more.

For some, this season will be the last, these games the end of illustrious careers, a final bow before fans and friends. Football Coach Joe Restic. Field hockey and lacrosse star Francie Walton. Quarterback Mike Giardi. Men's soccer captain Joe Bradley, and many others.

For others, this year is the first step, a coming out party thrown by those who have faith in them and in what they may accomplish some day. Their names are spoken, but softly now, for they still have all their games ahead of them.

These athletes, both young and old, are part of the more than 40 varsity programs that Harvard runs (the most of any school of the country). And for all these programs, this time of the year is the best time of year.

Sure, Restic, Giardi and the football team may have to battle preseason injuries and holes in their lineup if they want to leave November with an Ivy League Title. But the Crimson hasn't lost any games yet, and Giardi does have a solid offensive line in front of him. Maybe...just maybe.

All right, so field hockey coach Sue Caples' team is still a little young, and last year wasn't so good (last place in the Ancient Eight is hard to swallow). But the team does have five seniors who played on the 1991 squad that made it all the way to the NCAA's. Maybe...just maybe.

O.K., both the men's and women's soccer programs have been struggling to get back to the glory days of the 1980's when each frequented the top 20. But both men's coach Steve Locker and women's coach Tim Wheaton have plans and some talented rookies. Maybe...just maybe.

Men's water polo did beat Brown last year. Men's and women's tennis didn't lose many players. The cross country teams are as strong as they've been in a long time. Women's volleyball has a new coach and a healthy Jenn Garcia.

That's the fall, and with men's hockey, women's lacrosse and crew, the winter and spring look even better.

So forget the pessimistic and the negative.

They may say we have no chance in this sport or that team is going nowhere.

You, however, can say, "all that is true but maybe...just maybe."