Golf Hits Dartmouth

CRIMSON SPORTS ROUNDUP

By Robert M. Imberman

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor Dartmouth could stop the Harvard men's golf team from fairing well in this weekend's two-course Granite State Invitational in New Hampshire.

But the women's squad had a bit more trouble with the New England weather as it soaked up its first-ever varsity experience.

Led by sophomore Joel Radtke, who finished two shots off the lead and tied for fourth place, the Crimson men overcame a downpour Sunday in Concord, N.H. and a Hanover home-course advantage yesterday at Dartmouth to finish a strong fifth out of a possible thirteen.

"To beat [Dartmouth] on their own course was a pretty good feat for us," said senior Lou Body, who contributed a 79 on the difficult Hanover Country Club course yesterday afternoon. Junior captain Jack Wylie called the win "a bit of revenge," for Dartmouth's relatively easy handling of Harvard last year.

"I think we're gonna be really competitive in the Ivy League this year," Wylie said.

Radtke's performance was followed closely by sophomore Jun Choo, whose impressive 75 yesterday placed him just five shots behind the leader. Harvard Coach Bob Leonard's contingent was rounded out by freshman Louis Sanchez, who equaled Body's 79 for yesterday's round.

The Women

Hampered both by the rain and inexperience, the women's squad finished seventh at the Dartmouth Invitational in its debut as a Harvard varsity team. Lamenting the absence of star recruits on a first-year team, freshman Alexis Boyle said, "It's really difficult. We have to do a lot of recruiting."

Coach Warren Smith's pioneering Crimson quintet is made up of Boyle, co-captains Ann Schoofs and Madge Roberts, senior Christine Sadlowski and junior Emily Kao.