New Ralph Lauren Clothing Line Won't Make Stop Here

By Jeffrey C. Milder

Ralph Lauren is bringing a new line of clothing to colleges in the Northeast this fall, hawking its duds out of a trailer that will travel to many campuses--but not to Harvard.

The clothing magnate is promoting its new "Double RL" style--touted as more rugged than their traditional preppy lines--in an effort to raise sales.

The van has already stopped at New York University and will visit the University of Connecticut, the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, the University of Vermont, the University of New Hampshire, and Wesleyan University later this week, said a Ralph Lauren spokesperson in New York.

Despite the potential for deeper pocketbooks, the trailer will not stop at any Ivy League colleges.

Harvard Quashes Visit

When asked why there would be no Harvard visit, the Ralph Lauren spokesperson said the University's own administrators had quashed the idea.

"We asked if they were interested and the Dean of Students said it's not the kind of thing Harvard wants to be a part of," the spokesperson said.

"If people of Harvard wanted us here we would be happy to come," the spokesperson continued. "We may participate in the Head of The Charles."

Ian E. Baldwin, assistant news editor of New York University's student paper, the Washington Square News, said city officials closed an entire street in New York to make way for the van, which was swarmed by N.Y.U. students.

"It was a large truck--an 18 wheeler--painted with splashy graphics," Baldwin said. "There was an awning attached to the truck, and on top it was a huge `RL' logo."

Baldwin said that students in search of outlet-style bargains were disappointed: The store-on-wheels offered Ralph Lauren prices, which prompted much browsing, but little purchasing.

"Inside there were clothes--nice clothes--very expensive, and a few cash registers," he said.