Rematch of Co-Champs: Brown Tops Yale, 2-0

IVY SOCCER NOTEBOOK

By John B. Trainer

Imagine the Buffalo Bills and the Dallas Cowboys playing to a Super Bowl tie, with both teams sharing the Vince Lombardi trophy.

A satisfying finish? Hardly. But it would make for a very...interesting game when the two teams met again.

Such was the case in the Ivy League women's soccer world Saturday, as Ivy co-champions Brown and Yale met at Yale in a grudge match of supreme proportions. Both teams went 6-1 in the League last year.

This year, the teams battled for over an hour in a scoreless tie before Brown's Lisa Beckett scored the eventual winning tally after a scuffle in front of the Yale net at the 63-minute mark. Kat Alford added an insurance goal as Brown won, 2-0....Despite Harvard's offensive woes, it continues to cling to first place in the Ancient Eight by virtue of its only goal of the season (in a 1-0 win over Columbia) and a non-conference schedule, which ends this weekend when it faces Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y.

The Men

The Princeton men's soccer team, thought to have one of the best freshman recruiting classes in the country this season, moved into first place in the Ivy League after defeating Cornell on Saturday, 5-3.

Princeton boasts the League's leading scorer in sophomore forward Jacob Dowden (7-0-14) and three of the top five. Its 17 goals easily top the Ancient Eight...Dartmouth has yet to compete in a league game, but last year's Ivy champions defeated Vermont, 1-0. Vermont, in turn, had defeated 23rd-ranked Wisconsin-Milwaukee (5-3) and 11th-ranked Hartwick (1-0) and the win is expected to put the Big Green in the national rankings...Freshman Kevin Silva scored Harvard's only Ivy goal, against Columbia, Sunday.