W. Soccer Wins, 3-1

Crimson Edges BC

By Thomas W. Miller

It's not too often that a team can enjoy a home field advantage when it is the designated visiting team. Yesterday's women soccer game proved to be a timely exception for the Harvard women's soccer team (2-2-1, 1-0-0 Ivy), however, as Harvard whipped "host" Boston College, 3-1, at Ohiri Field.

Overzealous tailgating during Boston College's football home-opener rendered the Eagles' field unplayable, and the game had to be moved to the comfortable confines of Cambridge.

And the Crimson took full advantage of the unusual circumstances.

Harvard junior Elizabeth Eynon finished off a beautifully threaded pass from freshman Meg Kassakian with 3:25 remaining in the game to seal the victory.

Eynon's insurance goal alleviated the pressure that the Eagles had put on senior Brooke Donahoe, the Crimson's agile goaltender.

The game seemed to be heading towards overtime when Eagle junior Kim Halleran found herself all alone with the ball right in front of the Crimson goal with under nine minutes remaining and Harvard holding a 2-1 lead.

Halleran rifled a shot that was heading into the upper left hand corner of the goal, but the five-foot, eleven-inch Donahoe used every inch of her body to deflect the ball over the crossbar.

"Donahoe was outstanding," Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton said.

Boston College's pressure came in response to the eventual game-winning goal which came off the foot of Harvard sophomore Megan Hall. Hall's unassisted tally in the 59th minute represented a great individual effort--she beat two defenders coming off the right wing and then sent a screaming shot that glanced off the crossbar and into the net to break a 1-1 tie.

"I saw the corner was open and gave it my best shot," Hall said. "I'm just glad it went in."

Harvard opened the scoring with senior co-captain Martha Schneider's blistering shot past the Eagle goalie from twenty-five yards out. The goal came with only 37 seconds remaining in the first half.

"That first goal got us going," Wheaton said.

Harvard was outshot 11 to four in the first half, as Boston College capitalized on its superior quickness to control the play, forcing several turnovers and creating numerous scoring opportunities.

But Donahoe rejected each scoring bid, and her teammates picked up their level of play and gave the netminder some breathing room with the Crimson's first goal.

Harvard's three goals against Boston College equalled its offensive production in the previous three games.

"It's nice to see us scoring some goals and seeing them scored by different people," Wheaton said.

Harvard's next game is away at Cornell on Saturday.