Crime Doesn't Pay? Says Who?

By Marios V. Broustas

Four first-year students had their backpacks stolen from the racks in the Freshman Union on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Students said the backpacks contained several valuable items, including sunglasses, a passport, a calculator, a checkbook and several books they needed for exams.

David V. Zeltser '97, whose bag disappeared yesterday between 5:30 and 6 p.m., said he was upset at the lack of security at the Union.

Taziona G. Chaponda '97 lost his passport when his bag was allegedly stolen from the racks near the entrance to the College's largest dining hall. Chaponda planned to leave today for London, but he has been forced to cancel his trip.

"My lesson is always leave my parcels on me," Chaponda said.

Crime Prevention Officer Larry J. Fennelly advised students to be wary of leavingtheir bags unattended. He also promised to put upposters in the union that advise students not toleave items of value in the immediate area.

The students have put up signs of their own bythe racks at the Freshman Union. Zeltser andChaponda's sign, which is covered with "$" says,"If you took my backpack please bring it back.I'll pay you."

Zeltser indicated he is willing to pay "a lot"for his bag. "I'll make the crime pay for whoeverstole it," he said