Hamas Should Join in Peace Efforts

TO THE EDITORS:

In the past few days people all over the world have witnessed the chronicle of a death foretold. Several extremist Hamas terrorists kidnapped and killed an Israeli soldier, Nachshon Waxman after holding him hostage for several days. Officially, Hamas demanded the release of 200 prisoners from Israeli jails in return for his release. But Hamas never meant to release Nachshon Waxman. They would have killed him anyway. Their act was so offensive in a country known for its concern for the welfare of its soldiers, and their demands so excessive, that they could have hardly expected a serious negotiation to take place.

If these members of Hamas were truly interested in the release of the prisoners from jail, they could have chosen any one of several options, the most obvious of which is entering the political process. Arafat, who did so proved that this was the most effective method to have members of the PLO released from Israeli jails, and in greater numbers than those demanded by Hamas.

Since releasing their follow prisoners was not their real goal, what was it? First, Hamas wanted to attract media attention and they did. Second, they wanted to provoke Israel to leave the negotiating table and halt the peace talks which they so vehemently oppose.

So far, Hamas is frustrated by its inability to provoke Israel to halt peace talks despite repeated attempts, including a recent attack on civilians in downtown Jerusalem. The recent kidnapping is Hamas' attempt to carry out the ultimate attack which will provoke Israel. Although it was initially successful in attaining its two goals, Hamas failed and will continue to fail. Hamas seems to cling desperately to the pitiful idea that terror is an effective political tool. They seem to still uphold the archaic notion that Israelis can be terrorized out of Israel.

If Hamas was a true representative of the Palestinians' best interest and not of their irrational emotions it would join the political process. By joining it would be doing the greatest and most effective service to the Palestinian population. --Einat Wilf   Chair, Harvard Students for Israel