Ito Asks for Law School Briefs

Judge in O.J. Trial to Read Papers From HLS Lawyering Class

By M. ALLISON Arwady

Many at Harvard have been following the ubiquitous O.J. Simpson drama on television.

But a few first-year Law School students may actually help decide if they'II get to see the trial itself on TV.

Judge Lance Ito, who is presiding in the California court case, has requested memos from the members of the required "Introduction to Lawyering" on the question of allowing cameras in the courtroom.

The class, taught by Weld Professor of Law Charles R. Nesson and Johnston Lecturer on Law Peter L. Murray '64, is using the case in its curriculum this year.

Ito's law clerk called Nesson last Tuesday with the unusual request. The judge must make his decision by November 7.

Law students are happy about the real-world class content. First-year Mary A. Lee '94 said the Simpson focus has made the class more lively and relevant.

"It's going on now," she said. "It's not canned cases, like in the past."

But Murray said when he and Nesson decided to structure the course around the Simpson case "we never imagined an opportunity for the students to become involved."

Of the 540 first-year students, 232 volunteered to form groups of four to write the background memos. They will focus on issues like the legal background of media access to trials, judges' power to ban media and how TV coverage of a trial might influence a jury.

Students showed a "good deal of excitement" in the project, Murray said.

The memos were due Monday.

"We worked on it all weekend," Lee said. "It was pretty intense."

Murray said the professors will choose several of the best among the 58 memos turned in and forward them to Ito tonight.

Murray and Nesson will add a memo of their own to the students' collection because the judge may also seek assistance from legal experts.

"A tremendous amount of law student energy was generated and released," Murray said. "It's an outstanding work product."