Head of Charles Unusually Quiet: One Arrest, No Injuries

By Amita M. Shukla

About 160,000 people congregated at Harvard this weekend for an unusually quiet Head of the Charles, with only one arrest and no injuries reported.

The crowd was slightly smaller than last year, when 200,000 came to watch the annual regatta.

"It's getting a little better each year," said State Police Lt. Tom J. O'Laughlin, who was patrolling the riverfront yesterday. "It's been very good."

The arrest, made Saturday night by Harvard police, was for drinking in public and "possible possession of narcotics."

Bob A. Soffa, station supervisor of the Red Cross Emergency Aid Stations, said yesterday that there had been no illnesses or serious medical incidents, other than a sprained ankle.

"This is usually one of the better events of the year for us," Soffa said.

Students and visitors attributed the relative peace and quiet to a strong police presence.

"They [crowds] are a lot tamer," said Andrea B. Ellin, a native Bostonian who has attended this event for many years. "Two years ago you'd have a party at every corner; now it's more commercial and political."

While Head weekend featured some of the traditional partying, students said Harvard's security measures put a damper on the festivities.

"It got really congested and the T was just horrible," said Bora Chung '95. "You also had to show your ID everywhere and I was annoyed."

The gates of Harvard Yard were locked from 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon until 7 a.m. yesterday morning, and only people with Harvard ID's were permitted to enter. At the river houses, security personnel guarded each house.

"It was understandable," Chung said. "They are making more efforts to keep everything in order."

Other students avoided the party scene altogether, despite police efforts.

"I didn't even go outside, so I don't know what it was like," said Jennie M. Cheung '98.

But yesterday, onlookers were out, enjoying the peace and quiet. Robin A. Sacco, a visiting 1994 Cornell graduate, applauded Harvard's security efforts.

"Everyone is so upbeat, and everything seems so well regulated," Sacco said.

The mood was happy during the early part of yesterday afternoon, when the weather was sunny and temperatures averaged about 70.

"There was tremendous turnout and the people were very friendly," said David C. Gordon '96, a member of Harvard's lightweight men's crew. "Just to participate with 200,000 people watching is an incredible and unique experience."

Gordon said the crowds reduced the pressure on those competing in the regatta.

"It's more festive," Gordon said. "It's not as serious and you also have a good time."

Many families and students spread out blankets and had picnics near the river. Spectators said they found a more festive atmosphere than at many other athletic events.

"People come together here," said Melissa Brown, a sophomore at Stone-hill College in North Easton, Mass. "It's really a competition. Everyone is really laid back."

But the supporters of U.S. Senate candidates had to work. They displayed signs and set up booth to spread the word about U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 and his challenger, Belmont entrepreneur W. Mitt Romney.

The afternoon ended damply. Around 4 p.m. in the afternoon, the same time major races started, it began to rain. Traffic congestion and panic were the immediate results of the downpour, as cars poured out of a newly sodden Cambridge