In First, Formal Is Quad-Wide

Despite Budget Differences, Houses to Come Together to Dance

By Victoria E.M. Cain

For the first time ever, students from Cabot. Currier and North Houses will strut their stuff together at a Quad-wide winter formal, house committee members said yesterday.

The event, which was officially approved on Friday, will be held on December 10 at the Wang Center in Boston. This is the first time Quad students have come together for a combined winter formal, house officials said.

House committee members said a key reason behind the joint event was the expectation that they will save money. The houses agreed to split costs evenly.

"Besides the fact that we wanted to have Quad-bonding, splitting the cost is more economically sound," said Charmaine T.M. Chiu '96, social chair for Cabot House.

Tickets will cost $15, the same price charged at last year's North and Currier House formals. Cabot residents will have to spend three dollars more than last year.

But some students said the location and the company are worth the price hike.

"I don't usually go to winter formals," said Nelangi N. Pintl '96, a Cabot House resident. "But now I'm considering it."

House committee officers said they felt more comfortable combining the winter formals than other dances.

"None of us have big winter formals, so a change is less of a risk," said Tanya E. Ponton '95, co-chair of the Cabot House committee.

Dana W. Lansky '95, co-chair of Cabot House committee, said the dance would foster a sense of community and "hopefully, will become a tradition."

"Everyone is really excited," Lansky added.

North House committee members decided the issue by mail-dropping ballots to residents to ask their opinions. Committee members in that house could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Cabot and Currier House residents approved the dance at open house committee meetings.

Nagging Details

While the houses are pledged to cooperation, some difficult details, such as reconciling various alcohol and smoking policies, have yet to be resolved.

Some Quad residents want a separate room for smokers, but it is unclear whether the Wang Center will allow students to smoke inside.

Alcohol policy may be more difficult to resolve, Lansky said. With a house budget of $17,000, Currier residents want to continue their tradition of serving free alcohol.

"Currier House wants an open bar for at least an hour," said William A. Blankenship '96, co-chair of the Currier's social committee.

But facing low budgets--Cabot House has only $2000--the other houses are reluctant to split the cost of an open bar.

And Currier House officials said they do not want to fund more than their share.

"For our spring formal last year, the open bar cost over $1000 for an hour," said Zach Buchwald '96, Currier House committee treasurer. "If three times as many people show, and we have most of the money, well...we just want everything to be fair."

"We're trying to figure out a way to have as much alcohol as possible," Lansky said, "but we're working on different options."

Students rejected a Quad-wide spring formal each of the past two years. Ponton said North House and Cabot House residents had considered a joint spring formal at the end of last year, but they ultimately scrapped the idea.

"It's the last big house event, and seniors want to be with their friends from the house," said Ponton. "It's a much bigger thing than the winter one."

Several Quad students said they are enthusiastic about the combination dance.

"I like that [the Quad houses] are doing more activities together," said Paul D. Cabana '96. "We should take advantage of the location. We're all secluded, but we're all secluded together."

Cabot resident Cameron E. Half '97 said that "it's a good idea. Not only can you pool resources, but the Quad is three houses where people share a common experience. We wait for the shuttle together, walk back from class together. There's a special connection that should be celebrated.