Lowell Masters Suspend Stein Club

By Kathrine A. Meyers

For the past two weeks, Thursday nights have been a little quieter at Lowell House.

The stein club, a 15-year-old tradition of beer testing funded by the Lowell House Committee, has been temporarily closed down because of complaints that the club permits underage drinking.

Students and house officials said they were disappointed by the loss of this weekly opportunity for students to socialize together in the house.

"It kind of sucks," said Lowell resident Mark S. Cob '96. "Stein club was a way for sophomores, juniors, and seniors to socialise."

Sources said the club was advertised on house committee signs until about three weeks ago. The signs were then replaced with new ones not bearing the club's name. I

"The proximity of these two occurences--the signs and the closing of the club--could be coincidental," said house committee treasurer Rob R. Zamacona '95, who coordinates the stein club. "I don't know if the two are related."

Organizers said the Lowell Stein Club meets weekly with half a keg of beer and about 70 students present.

Students only get a cup or two of beer. Soda and juice are also served.

"Stein club is a tame, small event," said house committee co-chair Julie E. Peters '94-'95. "It is not a situation in which alcohol is abused."

Lowell House Masters William H. and Marie Lee Bossert announced two weeks ago that the stein club could not meet anymore without stricter regulations on underage drinking.

William Bossert said he was disappointed that the club had to be closed down. But the law and University policy forced his decision, he said.

Under the Innkeepers' Law, hosts assume complete responsibility for the consumption of alcohol and the actions of guests. However, stein club parties are funded by the house committee and thus are considered public parties, making them subject to stricter legal rules.

Bossert said it is unfortunate that they cannot be responsible for the club under private party rules.

"I am just as willing to take on the responsibility for a 20 year old drinking in my house, at stein club, as I am for a 40 year old," William Bossert said. "Stein club does not abuse alcohol, and so I would have no problem taking on that responsibility."

University policy for public parties, such as house parties, requires that a BAT team of graduate students who are certified bartenders be present. BAT teams consist of four graduate students and cost about $80. They card people, mix drinks and tap the keg.

William Bossert said he wants to see the BAT policy reformed.

"I would love to see students work to modify the law, so that in certain circumstances [under-age] drinking in ultra-moderation would be legal," he said.

Zamacona said BAT teams at past events have not known how to tap kegs or mix drinks. Similiar complaints have been voiced by other undergraduates in the past.

"There is no need for four 'bouncers," Peters said, "and there is no way that we can afford to pay $80 each week from house funds."

Peters said the club "will try to get back on its feet by having one or two members of the BAT team present or, preferably, training a couple of our tutors as BAT [members] to card.