HSA to Take Over More House Grilles

By Amita M. Shukla

In what could become a campus-wide trend, Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) is likely to take over management of two more house grilles next semester, according to HSA President Shani D. Lester '95.

Under a series of deals now under negotiation, Quincy House and Mather House will turn their grilles over to HSA managers. The Currier House grille, which operated under HSA last year, was the first to be run by the student agency.

"We have a good reputation on campus for running the grilles," said HSA Vice President Modupe N. Akinola '96. "Now many grilles are interested in us providing them service."

HSA officials said they will try to manage efficiently without losing the personal touch in the grilles, which are informal student hang-outs.

"Our approach is that we want to manage inventory and quality control, while still allowing the house free reign over every other aspect of the grille, including the menu," Lester said.

Still, some houses are nervous about the trend toward HSA-managed grilles. For example, Mary E. Rocha '95, chair of the Kirkland House committee, said: "We don't want to have any outside people running it."

In Dunster House, Victor Chiu '95, co-chair of the Dunster House committee, said he fears that new management may change the personal touch of the house grilles.

"HSA is a business and they operate more bureaucratically so it would lose the personal feel," Chiu said. Dunster, however, currently has no plans to turn over operation of its grille to HSA.

Lester said she understands the concerns of some houses, and she noted that the Quincy House committee shared those concerns before HSA reassured them.

"People within the house thought that the grille would lose its house flavor," Lester said. "Nothing really changes except that they have a foundation to rest on."

HSA first took over the house grille in Currier when it accepted the responsibilities for its management a year ago.

Under the new system, the house committee and HSA split the profits, according to Nnamdi J. Orakwue '95, the Currier grille manager.

"I think our grille is running great," said Orakwue, who is an HSA employee. "More than anything, students at Currier are really excited to have a grille and don't really care who runs it."

Jill L. Wheeler '95, chair of the Quincy House committee, said she endorsed the idea of HSA management.

The Quincy House grille has not, opened at all this year because the house doesn't have enough money to pay employees.

"It seems like every year another student takes up the grille and loses money or ended up even," said Wheeler, noting that profits will now be shared equally by HSA and the house committee.

"We want HSA to add continuity to it so the grille would be more consistent and open in the beginning of the year," Wheeler said.

Akinola said HSA only wants to help out houses that need financial support for the grilles.

"If the grille has no one to run it in the house, we are definitely looking to help them out," Akinola said