Students Follow Their Home State Elections

GOP Victories Expected Nationwide

By David L. Greene

The surprisingly close Senate race between newcomer W. Mitt Romney and six-term senator Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 may be one of the most closely watched contests in recent history, but many Harvard students aren't impressed.

Some students say they're more interested in politics in their home states, where equally dramatic races are taking place. And others say they aren't interested in politics at all.

In California, Republican nominee and political newcomer Michael Huffington is giving Democratic incumbent Dianne Feinstein a tough challenge.

Having poured $11 million of his own money into the campaign, Huffington closed the gap between himself and the heavily favored incumbent.

"I'm voting Republican," says Matthew P. Cornue '98, a California resident planning to vote by absentee ballot. "[Feinstein] is allocating too much money to the wrong areas, like social programs."

The California governor's race is also hotly contested. Republican Governor Pete Wilson is facing a serious challenge from state treasurer, California political legacy and Democratic nominee Kathleen Brown.

Many Brown supporters say they weren't satisfied with Wilson's objectives in office.

Although she is not yet old enough to vote, Californian Natasha R. Cupp '98 has been following politics at home closely. "I would vote for Brown," she says. "Pete Wilson simply didn't do anything for the state."

Cupp says she also supports Feinstein, especially for her stands on welfare.

But Cornue also applauds Wilson's record in office. "He's really done a good job as governor--he's made an effort to cut illegal immigration," he says.

Chris J. Exner '95 of Alamo, Calif, says he is undecided, but leans away from the Republican candidates.

"Huffington and Wilson have been on an anti-crime kick, diverting the public from the real issues," Exner says.

Texas

Like California, Texas is also home to an exciting gubernatorial race. Democrat Ann Richards will have to defy history in order to reclaim her office; an incumbent has not been reelected to the Texas governor's seat in over 20 years.

Richards was trailing challenger George W. Bush, son of the former president, by 4 points as of Thursday night, according to Texan N. Van Taylor '96-'95.

Taylor, who has been following the campaign closely, actually knew the Republican candidate personally. "Bush lived at my house for six months and I used to babysit his kid," Taylor says.

Richard H. Dinh '98 also met the younger Bush. "He lived right across the street from my friend," Dinh says.

But despite their personal connections with the candidate, Taylor and Dinh both stress that they support Bush for purely political reasons.

"Bush brings a lot of good ideas to the state," Taylor says. "And Richards has been an extremely controlling governor. Her liberal policies have been detrimental to Texas in terms of economics."

The majority of students from Texas who were contacted did not comment, claiming that they were not informed enough to participate in the election.

New York

In New York, Democratic Governor Mario Cuomo has surged in the polls after the recent endorsement by Republican New York City Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. Still, he is threatened by Republican State Senator George Pataki, who led by as many as 10 points in the early weeks of the campaign.

Lauren A. Hammer '98, a New York resident, says she has been pleased with Cuomo's platforms and successes.

"I do not want to see New York state go Republican," Hammer says, maintaining that Cuomo needs to be reinstated because "he pushes more social reform."

Others criticize Cuomo's record in office. "Time and time again [Cuomo] has failed to deliver on promises," says Victor Chiappa '98 of Holbrook, New York. "For example, he hasn't cut taxes and he hasn't increased state aid for education."

Virginia

Virginians are faced with perhaps the most surprising senatorial race, where incumbent Democrat Charles Robb is trailing the once embattled--and almost convicted--former Iran-Gate icon Oliver North.

Although North is unpopular in many parts of the country, political experts say the situation is quite different in Virginia.

"[North] is uncontrollable," said Republican pollster Frank Luntz at an Institute of Politics panel Wednesday. "But he has amazing fundraising and his support is very intense."

However, Virginian Jordanna M. Brodsky '98 is voting for Robb mainly to keep North out of office.

"I would have probably voted for Robb anyway, but I voted for him so North would not get elected," she says.

Pennsylvania

The races are close in Pennsylvania as well, with incumbent Sen. Harris Wofford's campaign against Republican challenger Rick Santorum too close to call, while Democratic Lt. Governor Mark Singel and Republican challenger Tom Ridge are in a dead heat.

"I support Santorum because he is cutting budget spending," said Leo G. Polanowski '98 of Elizabethtown, Penn. "I met Wofford once and he was kind of pompous."

Political experts are predicting that the Republican party will gain ground in both houses of Congress and in Governor's seats across the country.

"Republicans will take the Senate and have a fifty percent chance of taking the House as well," said AJ Hunt at the IOP panel Wednesday. Hunt is Washington executive editor for the Wall Street Journal and a regular on CNN's "Capital Gang."