Reeves Must Explain Actions

By The CRIMSON Staff

Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 has been having a bad couple of weeks. Reeves, widely known in the community as a diligent and dedicated city official, has suddenly been besieged. First, there was an article in the Cambridge Chronicle, a local weekly, that accused Reeves of using a city credit card for personal expenses. Then the Massachusetts Department of Revenue disclosed that it was beginning an inquiry into whether or not the mayor paid his 1992 state income tax returns, which seem to be missing. And finally, Reeves found himself the recipient of a visit from two F.B.I. agents who quizzed him on a $30,000 overpayment of his salary by the city's school committee.

"I'm not a crook or a criminal," Reeves said in an interview with The Crimson. The mayor, who is Black and gay, then went on to charge the Chronicle with biased reporting, maintaining that "the twins of both racism and homophobia are here."

Yet if, as Reeves and his supporters claim, the mayor is entirely innocent, then why is the F.B.I. now conducting an inquiry on his handling of the overpayment? And why has he continually refused to clarify the nearly 300 questionable expenses charged to the city's credit card?

"Mayor Reeves needs to substantiate what those expenses are," City Councillor Jonathan S. Myers said in a council meeting open to the public. "The public has a right to know and the city council has a right to know."

Myers is right. Reeves, in claiming to be the victim of racism and homophobia, is trivializing these grave issues. If he truly has nothing to hide, and has committed no indiscretions, then he certainly shouldn't be afraid of making his affairs public.

Sadly enough, his conduct is highly suspicious. Reeves maintains, for example, that he paid all of his income taxes in 1992, yet he steadfastly refuses to produce a copy of his 1992 state tax returns. When the Chronicle asked Reeves's office to provide an accounting of his credit card expenses, the request was first denied. Later, the mayor provided an accounting for 27 of the more than 275 questionable charges.

It's time for Reeves to come clean and present his side of the story. That means releasing a list of his expenses and presenting those elusive tax returns.

If he doesn't, it's only fair to wonder just what is going on behind the closed doors of Reeves's office. Either he needs to provide the documentation necessary to exonerate him, or he needs to resign.