Law School Clinic Eliminates Walk-Ins

Medical Staff Say Change Will Result in Increased Service, Longer Appointments

By Victoria E.M. Cain

In a move likely to limit law students' access to speedy medical care, University Health Services has eliminated walk-in service at its Law School clinic.

A similar switch at UHS' main office at 75 Mt. Auburn Street three years ago led to increased access problems at the site, a Crimson investigation found last year.

But doctors at the Law School clinic, whose original purpose was to give students and staff at the school more convenient walk-in service, say the change will be better for students.

By eliminating the service and increasing the time available for appointments at the Pound Hall facility, officials said yesterday they hope to reduce crowding and delays.

"Before, the patient would have to wait", said Dr. Sidney Wanzer, one of three physicians at the clinic. "And frequently the doctor they saw was not their primary care provider".

In the past, blocks of time during each day were set aside for walk-in service. Now a student wishing to see a doctor should "telephone the clinic, and them will be given a specific time to see a doctor, almost always that same day", Wanzer said.

To accommodate students who call needing same-day attention, doctors at the clinic "reserve a certain amount of booking time until that day. Routine checkups can be scheduled much further in advance," he said.

Some doctors and other employees said the move away from walk-in service was largely cost-driven.

Some law students are suspicious of the recent change, as well.

"For $600 a semester (for health care), they ought not to be cutting back on services," said law student Bob Bordone.

But Dr. Raymond Walther, another physician at the clinic, said the change was positive. Walk-ins, he noted, place a tremendous strain on physicians.

"It makes a doctor very nervous," Walther said, "It's sometimes comforting to know that you don't have seven patients out in the waiting room."

So far, the new system has been "much smoother," Wanzer said.

"It's considerable improvement," he said.

Still, first-year law student Eric Tracy seemed less sure about the change.

"I had a lot of trouble making an appointment," he said. "I wanted to make two appointments and the receptionist told me I had to make one at a time, that I couldn't have them together. I had to wait 25 minutes.

Others worry, too. "It brothers me that we can't walk in," said Bethany Matz, a first-year student.

"I guess it prevents bunching up, but I sort of wonder, if I have a severe cold, are you going to make me wait a week because that's your policy," he said.