Heat Will Be Turned on in Houses Today

After Recent Days of Cold Weather, Harvard to Turn on Steam One Week Early

By Deborah Yeh

The worst is over for undergraduates who've braved the recent frigid nights armed with nothing but prohibited space heaters and extra blankets.

Most of the undergraduate houses will start to be heated today, about a week earlier than usual.

"Normally we aim for Columbus Day weekend for startup, but sometimes weather conditions say when we start," said Andrew J. Culhane, building operations supervisor.

But today is not soon enough for some students, who have been suffering through the cold for days.

"Waking up in the morning, I just want to cry," said Michael McGovern '97, a resident of Leverett Towers. "It feels like hypothermia. If this keep up I'm moving back home."

Workers have been readying the system for heat delivery ever since requests for heat poured into superintendents' offices three days ago, said Culhane.

Harvard's policy is to heat to 70 degrees during the day and 64 degrees at night, said Michael N. Lichten, director of the office of physical resources.

A few houses and dorms had actually started receiving heat by yesterday, but most students were braving 40-degree weather without help from the University's heating system.

The reason is that "turning up the heat" at Harvard is not as easy as changing the at home, said Harold A. Hawkes, associate director for engineering and utilities.

"There are two things we need to consider," Hawkes said. "One is the safety of the people turning the heat on. The other is that we don't want to destroy the system."

Steam is delivered to Harvard rooms through four miles of pipes. When the weather turns cold, steam must be reintroduced to the pipes section by section, a process which takes two to three days and at least four engineers.

Some residents of the colder houses dismissed bureaucratic calls for patience.

"We should issue a challenge to the fellow in charge to come to Leverett House tower and spend the night," said Tom Shidel '96, who lives in Leverett Towers. "Let's see if he still thinks he can't turn up the heat."

But some students simply don't care.

Rolland Ho '97, of Lowell House, said he doesn't buy people's complaints about the cold. "If it's so cold, close your window, please," Ho said.

Some students offered a historical perspective for adjusting to the local weather.

"As a senior I've gotten used to it," said Rebecca Boggs '95. "If you think this is bad, think about the Puritans surviving the harsh winter, and you have nothing to complain about."

And some DeWolfe residents said they already have too much heat. "It's too hot," said Scott Greenberg, '95. "Our room is baking.

But some students simply don't care.