Ethnic Studies Teach-In Calls For Activism

Part of Push for Department, Classes

By Flora Tartakovsky

A panelist in last night's ethnic studies teach-in said students need to "exhaust" the administration with activism in order to get a department in the subject.

The panelist, University of California at Berkeley graduate Margaret Fortune, was an activist on that campus. Berkeley has an ethnic studies department.

"Scholarship is lacking when it fails to take into consideration all the factors pertaining to a society." Fortune told an audience of about 60 students in Boylston Hall. "Students would be better leaders by learning about others."

Last night's teach-in was part of a renewed effort by Harvard students to push for more classes and faculty in ethnic studies. A group of under graduates calling themselves the Ethnic Studies Action Committee has said it will go beyond the "quiet activism" of years past.

"It's because I've spent so much time working through the appropriate channels, I feel that a different approach may work better," ESAC member Hyewon Chong '95 said last week.

At last night's event, four panelists. Associate Professor of English Anne Cheng, Professor of Folklore and Mythology Enrique Lamadrid, second-year. Law School student Venetia Moore and Fortune--discussed tactics for making ethnic studies a bigger part of the curriculum.

Fortune, a recent Berkeley graduate, was the most specific. She said sits-in and other forms of protest are vital to making progress on ethnic studies.

"Activism is an essential part of ethnic studies," Fortune said. "[Berkeley] is where ethnic studies was born."

The suggestions laid out by Fortune resemble some of what ESAC has promised. She argued that holding public events and having conversations with the administration about the need to ethnic studies can help students get a department in the subject.

Other panelists talked about the benefits of ethnic studies classes.

"I have leaned how to look at things from different viewpoints," Moore said. "I have learned to be able to distinguish between right and wrong as opposed to what sounds good. I've been attractive to employers because of my contacts with the community and my political activism."

Lamadrid, a visiting professor from the University of New Mexico, said ethnic studies have been a positive force on that campus.

"My education has been Anglo studies," Lamadrid said. "I never found out about the antiquity of Mexican culture until college."

"People want to see something about themselves," he added.

Cheng, the associate English professor, said ethnic studies faces various hurdles. In many parts of academia, it is not considered serious scholarship.

Cheng told a story about a scholar who applied for a National Institutes of Health grant in ethnic studies. "It was rejected and essentially called an academic tower of Babel," Cheng said.

Students who attended the teachin said they, too, would like to see Harvard offer more in ethnic studies.

"There's a definite lack of courses," said Rebecca Kiley '98. "I would be interested in taking a Native American or Asian-American history class.